You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-04 17:42:51

Mega-G33k

[SOLVED] - How to change video drivers

Hello all, I've been trying to change my video drivers from the proprietary Nvidia drivers to something else (nv, vesa, etc) because the Nvidia drivers are causing my WM (Openbox) to crash.  I managed to try vesa, and it fixed the crash, but after a reboot I couldn't run startx, it would just warp the screen and display garbage,  But after reinstalling Nvidia the problems stopped, so it must still be using Nvidia.  So, how can I completely switch to the vesa driver.  Thanks!

And here is my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier   "Device0"
    Driver       "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier   "Screen0"
    Device       "Device0"
    Monitor      "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "1280x1024_75.00"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I have a GeForce 8500 GT.
Also I apologize if what I said makes no sense, I have a hard time trying to explain things online, so if you need me to rephrase something just ask.

Last edited by Mega-G33k (2010-10-04 18:45:21)

#2 2010-10-04 18:21:44

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] - How to change video drivers

You could try the Nouveau driver, which is the open source alternative for Nvidia cards.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2010-10-04 18:44:56

Mega-G33k

Re: [SOLVED] - How to change video drivers

litemotiv wrote:

You could try the Nouveau driver, which is the open source alternative for Nvidia cards.

Thanks! Apparently the Nouveau driver was causing the problem. The page you linked to had info that helped me solve the problem. Even though the Nouveau driver had been uninstalled, it's module was being loaded, so I blacklisted both nouveau and nvidia in my modprobe.conf, now everything works, thanks!

Board footer