You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-05 15:27:44

Install to pre-existing DM-Crypt & LVM, setup GRUB

Hello,

I tried installing Arch with encryption, and succeeded up until a critical issue prevented WMs from working. So instead of Arch, I'm now running Fedora and Win 7 on the partitions created from my initial Arch attempt (with default crypt settings).

sda1: /boot
sda2: Win 7
sda3: dm-crypt

Within the encrypted sda3 I've got an LVM2 for all my various /, /home, swap, etc. volumes.

The problem is that the Arch installer does not autodetect/mount my encrypted volume and contained logical volumes.

What's the proper procedure for mounting these volumes so that the installer will recognize them?

Thanks,

Last edited by 01011010 (2010-10-06 17:56:41)

#2 2010-10-05 19:59:24

heptapod

Re: Install to pre-existing DM-Crypt & LVM, setup GRUB

I dont think it matters where you mount them on the temporary file system during installation.

Once they are mounted you can choose to configure mountpoints etc manually in the installer and the lvm and encrypted partitions should show up on  the list. From here you can choose where they should be mounted on the system that you are about to install.

For manually mounting them from cli, see man cryptsetup and man lvm.
Opening crypted partitions is done with cryptsetup luksOpen. Seeing logical volumes is done with lvdisplay. Opening logical volumes is done with lvchange -a y.

#3 2010-10-06 17:54:42

Re: Install to pre-existing DM-Crypt & LVM, setup GRUB

Thanks, Heptapod!

I've successfully installed Arch once again, so now I've just got to figure out how to boot... I don't think I should rely on Arch's GRUB installer since I'd rather not wreck Fedora just yet. Besides, overwriting my perfectly functional GRUB (even if it worked) would be cheating.

How should a GRUB newbie lrn2grub? Specifically, where or how can I learn to setup GRUB with encrypted LVs? My experience with GRUB does not extend very far past automated installers and occasionally editing an entry, but of course there's no better motivation for learning than necessity.

Thanks in advance,

Board footer