You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-06 15:25:33

magyckleo

Can't turn off PC!

Howdy everyone!

The title pretty much sums up my problem: Yesterday I installed SLIM as my login manager and it looks awesome... However, on came the problems.

My computer has one hard drive and is partitioned as such:
sda1  is NTFS and has Windows 7 installed, labeles WINDOWS
sda4 is NTFS and has all my personal files (Photos, music, etc), labeled USER
sda5 is ext4 and is where I have Arch installed with Gnome desktop, labeled ARCH.
sda6 is ext4 and has Ubuntu 10.04, labeled UBUNTU.
sda7 is my swap partition.

Before installing SLIM, I could open Nautilus and simply click on the little disk on the left side of the window that said UBUNTU to access muy Ubuntu partition. However, now I can't. When I click on it it says the following:

UNABLE TO MOUNT LOCATION
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: mount point /media/UBUNTU does not exist

I found a couple of threads suggesting I modify /etc/fstab, so I tried adding a line like so: /dev/sda6   /media/UBUNTU  ext4  defaults, user  0 0 . But no luck.

EDIT: THE ABOVE IS SOLVED.

Another problem I have is, I believe, a fairly simple one: When I open my Gnome menu (I installed mintmenu from AUR) and I click on "Quit" to turn off the computer or to reboot, the options are gone! There only appears a small screen with only a Cancel button that reads the following:

Shut down this system now?
You are currently logged in as "user"
This system will be automatically shutdown in N seconds.

I wait the minute and the computer turns off, but if I want to reboot I have to go to terminal and sudo reboot. Those options were there before, I'm sure of it!

These small problems are really quite anoying. Please help.

Last edited by magyckleo (2010-10-06 16:49:53)

#2 2010-10-06 15:46:00

kachelaqa

Re: Can't turn off PC!

magyckleo wrote:

UNABLE TO MOUNT LOCATION
Error mounting: mount exited with exit code 1: helper failed with:
mount: mount point /media/UBUNTU does not exist

I found a couple of threads suggesting I modify /etc/fstab, so I tried adding a line like so: /dev/sda6   /media/UBUNTU  ext4  defaults, user  0 0 . But no luck.

the error is telling you that there is no directory called /media/UBUNTU on your system.

you need to create that directory so that mount can use the line you've added to fstab.

#3 2010-10-06 15:52:02

magyckleo

Re: Can't turn off PC!

kachelaqa wrote:

the error is telling you that there is no directory called /media/UBUNTU on your system.

you need to create that directory so that mount can use the line you've added to fstab.

JAJAJA I can't believe it was that simple. Thanks man! That did the trick. One problem down, one more to go.

Board footer