You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-07 08:01:52

AndersJ

Back to base install

HI

I am still at a "learning linux" stage and often fiddle with different DE, VM, programs and so on.
Therefore my Arch installation tends to get a bit messy, with config files lying around and settings I have forgotten all about.
Is there an easy way to return to the base install, as it was when I first booted?
Or just a way to remove all personal config files, which tend to stay even though I remove and reinstall a program?

Thanks, Anders

#2 2010-10-07 10:24:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Back to base install

Well, one way is to create a new user, you'd start from scratch then.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-07 11:37:38

karol
Archivist

pacman doesn't remove the files created by the apps, like the dotfiles, so you keep an eye on them.
You can save the initial state of your system (or any state for that matter) and restore it - even to another partition if you want.

#4 2010-10-07 12:08:39

broch
Banned

pacman -Rssc package_name
removes package completely including config (system) file

I would keep /home on separate partition so user's config files (~/. and.directories) could be easily removed.

You can also wipe out all ~/.files ~/.directories without touching user sub-folders. I think that installations are extremely boring and unless you want to change fs (fs flags) no point to re-install.

#5 2010-10-07 13:46:57

kachelaqa

AndersJ wrote:

HI

I am still at a "learning linux" stage and often fiddle with different DE, VM, programs and so on.
Therefore my Arch installation tends to get a bit messy, with config files lying around and settings I have forgotten all about.
Is there an easy way to return to the base install, as it was when I first booted?
Or just a way to remove all personal config files, which tend to stay even though I remove and reinstall a program?

Thanks, Anders

set up a system backup routine (using something like partimage) and take regular snapshots.

it will only take you ten minutes or so to create images of your arch partitions.

think how many *hours* of hard-won knowledge you could lose if you don't ...

#6 2010-10-07 20:18:23

AndersJ

Thanks for the suggestions/ideas.

I guess you are right, returning to base install also removes users, video drivers and everything else, so it might be a bit too far back..

thank you all, Anders

#7 2010-10-07 20:42:57

rwd

like kachelaqa said. Make a snapshot and/or use tool that makes incremental backups, like rdiff-backup, so that you can return /etc/ to the state it was one  day ago, or one week etc.  rdiff-backup saved me from my own f*kups many times.

Also  document what you did, what change and why.

Last edited by rwd (2010-10-07 20:44:13)

Board footer