You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-07 09:15:30

belbono

[SOLVED] Shutdown/Reboot fails (Radeon HD5700)

Hey everybody,

yesterday I updated my Arch. Since then I have a problem with rebooting/shutting down the system. I had it in runlevel 3 as well as 5.
When I try to reboot or shutting down the system the screen turns black and keeps black. Regulary, I would expect to see several services shutting down.
I can't do anything but to reset the system manually. After such a reset the boot screen didn't show up properly ('no signal' message). I had to switch off power supply and wait some seconds to fix this.

This is really weird and I think it must have to do something with my Radeon HD 5700. Before I had a NVidia card with none of such problems.
Anyway, I installed the radeon driver (xorg) yesterday and its working good so far in kde and so on. Before I had the catalyst driver installed, but as far as I can tell I deinstalled it correctly. I also deleted the xorg.conf.

I hope someone can give me a hint for this problem, because I couldn't find any. The most strange thing was the blank screen at boot after the failed shutdown.

Thanks in advance,
bel

Last edited by belbono (2010-12-03 18:00:52)

#2 2010-10-07 15:45:53

mhertz

Re: [SOLVED] Shutdown/Reboot fails (Radeon HD5700)

I'm using the ati os driver and after updating to the newest release some days ago, then i'm experiencing the same as you, but only in xorg as I can shutdown/reboot fine in console. The screen goes blank if trying to reboot/shutdown or ctrl+alt+backspace in xorg, so I either need to login to a VT and shutdown from there, or go to VT1 and press ctrl+c and then reboot. I need KMS as else I cannot switch to any VTs, but maybe you could try disabling that(add 'nomodeset' as kernel boot parameter to '/boot/grub/menu.lst')

Edit: hd5450 here...

Last edited by mhertz (2010-10-07 15:47:29)

#3 2010-10-10 17:27:47

belbono

Thanks for the hint. I also found something that is known as POWER OFF problem which sounds like my problem in some terms.
Anyway, I tried to add 'nomodeset' to the kernel parameter line in grub, but this didn't help. KDE started up normally, but when I clicked on 'reboot' the screen turned black and the monitor started to look for any signal.
What I also did last time was including the radeon module into my initrd - If thats important in any way..

At least I could power up and boot the computer properly this time.

Last edited by belbono (2010-10-10 17:30:57)

#4 2010-12-03 18:00:35

belbono

Performance is better now with a new driver version. So I guess this can be considered as solved.

Board footer