You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-07 13:59:08

flamirande

KDE Desktop disappeared after update [SOLVED]

Hiya folks,

I have just updated my system with pacman -Syu. There were several kde updates, among others, and now, upon reboot, the desktop is completely blank: no taskbar, clock, wallpaper, icons, etc... All I see after logging in to the desktop environment is a black screen and a mouse cursor. I can still fire up programs using Alt+F2, internet works and everything else seems fine, but no desktop or launcher. I have tried downgrading packages (kdebase-plasma and kdebase-workspace), but to no avail, and figured I would ask for help before any more blind downgrades. If it changes anything, virtualbox-ose was also updated.

As an aside, I have been using Arch since last January and this the first time I have encountered a problem I could not solve by browsing the wiki or forums. This is an awesome distribution and community.

Thanks in advance,

François

Last edited by flamirande (2010-10-09 15:04:26)

#2 2010-10-07 15:42:28

Rezero

Re: KDE Desktop disappeared after update [SOLVED]

Rename the ~/.kde4/ directory (maybe .kde4.old or .kde4.backup) and try logging back in. That should create new configuration files and you'll (hopefully) have a usable desktop. Then you can copy over any application configs (Kmail, Amarok, etc)

#3 2010-10-09 15:04:04

flamirande

Re: KDE Desktop disappeared after update [SOLVED]

Thanks a lot, that solved it, and it even holds after re-updating the packages.

Cheers,
François

Board footer