You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-09 11:51:57

Snip

Restrict pointer to certain area

Is it possible to restrict the pointer to a certain part of the screen? I've got my laptop and external monitor setup like this (extended desktop):

Virtual screen 1920x1800
 -------------------------
|                         |
|        Monitor          |
|       1920x1080         |
|-------------------------|
|               |         |
|     Laptop    |  Dead   |
|    1280x720   |  space  |
|               |         |
 -------------------------

I don't want my pointer to be able to go in the "dead space", since I won't be able to see anything I (accidentally) put there on either of the two screens. Suggestions?

#2 2010-10-09 12:09:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Restrict pointer to certain area

Steps:-
1. Search for 'mouse jail'.
2. Spend quite a bit of time reading about programs which lock your mouse to one specific spot.
3. Find a C-program which does what you want. (or maybe a bash one, there's 2 I'm aware of).
4. Realize that it doesn't really work that well, and pins your CPU to 100% while you're trying to move to deadspace.
5. Learn to live with it.

That's just what I did when I wanted to do something about this. I have some sample xorg-linked code from one of the projects here which uses xorg callbacks, which should be able to do this without killing your CPU, but never had time to look into it. If you know C, email me and I'll tell you what I've tried before (and never gotten to work properly).

Otherwise, just live with it, or use separate-X smile.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-09 13:08:13

test1000

I thought kde atleast fixes this on their own? Atleast if you have a correct ServerLayout Screen section... Well i'm just guessing.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#4 2010-10-09 15:11:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

test1000 wrote:

I thought kde atleast fixes this on their own? Atleast if you have a correct ServerLayout Screen section... Well i'm just guessing.

KDE and Gnome have both gotten smarter about placing your panel on the edge of the actual screen rather than the big virtual one, but neither are responsible for restricting your mouse pointer.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer