You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-10 19:15:47

corruptz0r

Power-saving on a Core-I3 laptop?

Hello.  I just bought an Asus u35JC laptop and threw Arch oun it... It's a beast!  Unfortunately, it drains battery very fast (~3hr) even though it advertises "10+ hrs".  I know that companies always exaggerate this number, but this is ridiculous.  I want to do everything on my end to maximize power-saving. 

Powertop rates my usage from 13-18 watts depending on usage.

What I've done so far:
- laptop-mode-tools
- cpus set to powersave
- recompiled kernel with CK patchset (dunno if this actually helps)
- disabled the nvidia 310m gpu and instead using the onboard intel GMA

Is there any specific patchset for the Linux kernel that would optimize power consumption better? Also, is there anything I'm forgetting?

This is a core-i3 370 laptop.  Also, I know that this laptop supports Asus's Super Hybrid Engine (SHE), but the package for it on AUR only work's on EEE's.

EDIT:
here is my kernel config: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Cn779eVM

Last edited by corruptz0r (2010-10-10 19:37:57)

#2 2010-10-11 11:25:29

stqn
Website

Re: Power-saving on a Core-I3 laptop?

You might be better off using ondemand or conservative, so that the CPUs can return to "sleep mode" faster. But I doubt it will triple your battery life smile.

I was reading yesterday the comments of the CK patchset, and one of them increases the default frequencies ranges of the ondemand governor, BTW. I haven't compared my computer's power consumption with and without the patchset though (I'm using conservative anyway.)

#3 2010-11-24 03:49:19

Xehoz

I have an Asus N82JV which in Windows is able to reach about 6h. In my efforts to diminish power consumption three aspects were key:

1. Being, like yours, a Nvidia Optimus laptop, disabling (with the acpi_call thing) the use of the nvidia card.
Minus ~7500 mW which brings the laptop to about 3h, if I recall.

2. Setting up laptop-mode-tools.
3. Using relatively low brightness (obvious)
Don't know for sure how much, but these two take it to about 4h.

4. Only enabling wireless when I actually needed and for relatatively short periods of time.
The kicker. Reaches 5h with a timely usage of wireless.

5. Don't keep webpages with, particularly, flash or ajax open.
6. Using sound, even with the headphone connected, also uses a fair amount of power, keenly diminishing the battery time.

Note: I'm using the 'default' kernel.

You made my wonder about SHE (Super Hybrid Engine) though. I toIo have that technology... and I do use it on Windows. But boot up Windows so rarely that I haven't really noticed nor experimented with that. But it's weird that there's only a buzz about SHE on EEE when pretty much every Asus laptop nowadays has this.

Is there a way to activate this, I wonder?

Last edited by Xehoz (2010-11-24 03:50:05)

#4 2010-12-15 15:39:55

Larsson

I'm considering buying this laptop and would like to hear more about how it's going, did you find a solid solution that increases battery time, cause it seems strange that it drains so fast?

"If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear." - A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)

Board footer