You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-11 17:58:18

famboozle

[Solved] Upgrading Kernel From Pacman Cache

I am trying to upgrade a new computer to the most recent linux kernel.  The computer cannot connect to the internet.  However, my second computer is able to connect to the internet and I have upgraded it using pacman -Syu.

I now have all the packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg.  When I try to copy the all of the packages from one computer to the other and try to upgrade through pacman with either pacman -U or pacman -Syu, nothing happens.  I get a message saying, "local database is up to date" or an error about not connecting to the internet.

I have added this to pacman.conf as indicated in the wiki:

[custom]
server = file:///var/cache/pacman/pkg

but I get a message "error:failed retrieving file 'custom.db.tar.gz' from disk: no such file or directory".

I am mainly trying to upgrade the kernel.  When I try pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26-2.6.35.7-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz, it tells me the dependencies needed are linux-firmware.  When I add the linux-firmware to the pacman -U command I get a message about how the linux-firmware conflicts with the currently installed kernel.

Is it possible for me to install the updated kernel with the packages in pacman's cache?

Thanks.

Last edited by famboozle (2010-10-11 18:29:31)

#2 2010-10-11 18:07:29

karol
Archivist

Re: [Solved] Upgrading Kernel From Pacman Cache

#3 2010-10-11 18:29:13

famboozle

Re: [Solved] Upgrading Kernel From Pacman Cache

Thanks.  Should have read the entire page first.

Board footer