You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-11 18:31:03

Rorschach

power loss during update killed my system and I can't fix it anymore

Hi,
I have a problem. I updated my system yesterday and during this my pc was hard shutdown because of a power loss. Now I can't boot anymore. I can give in my luks-password (root and home are encrypted with dm-crypt and luks) but after that just a message appears which is like:

can not execute /sbin/init: Input/output error

followed by cryptic kernel-error messages.

Now I used an arch installation-medium. I decrypted my root and my home partition without problems. I ran fsck (fsck.ext3 -v -f -c /dev/sdaX) over them without problems. I mounted the partitions, proc-, sys- and dev-filesystems and tried to chroot into it:

chroot /archrescue /bin/bash

which is just answered with:

Can not execute /bin/bash: Input/output error.

The files on the root partiton seem to be okay. I checked a few like /etc/crypttab and also the keyfile for my homepartition is on my rootpartition and can be read and used for decrypting my homepartition without problems.

But what does this "Input/output" error mean, which I get when I try to boot or try to chroot into the system? I hope one of you can shine some light into this because I don't know what I can further try to fix it..

greetings

#2 2010-10-11 18:36:12

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: power loss during update killed my system and I can't fix it anymore

You can try reinstalling your packages (maybe starting with the base group) onto the disk using pacmans --root argument.

#3 2010-10-13 12:36:18

twix

Re: power loss during update killed my system and I can't fix it anymore

I suggest you reinstalling the whole system with the boot media, because anyway you need to reinstall bash, init ...

So give your system a fresh start after this terrible accident smile

Board footer