You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-12 20:39:24

jlacroix

[SOLVED] Any Way to Install Mesa 7.9 Early?

I'm a KDE user, and I've read that the new Mesa/Intel 7.9 supposedly fixed a few problems I find myself running into. I see that Mesa 7.9 is in testing, and I'm itching to try it out. I know that it will probably hit stable soon, but I'm really curious to see if it really does make KDE 4.5 work better.

Is there a way I can upgrade to Mesa 7.9 now without enabling all of testing? I know that's typically not recommended but in this case I want to see if it resolves my KDE problems.

Last edited by jlacroix (2010-10-13 14:32:17)

#2 2010-10-12 20:47:40

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Any Way to Install Mesa 7.9 Early?

cherry picking from testing is not supported. the best thing when using testing is to enable it along with community-testing and do pacman -Syu.

but if you know what are you doing, you can select individual packages and install them with pacman -U

if i remember well, you would need xorg-server, libdrm, mesa, ati-dri, xf86-video-ati

Last edited by wonder (2010-10-12 20:50:52)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2010-10-12 20:52:11

jlacroix

wonder wrote:

cherry picking from testing is not supported. the best thing when using testing is to enable it along with community-testing and do pacman -Syu.

but if you know what are you doing, you can select individual packages and install them with pacman -U

if i remember well, you would need xorg-server, libdrm, mesa, ati-dri, xf86-video-ati

I was thinking about just downloading the files and then installing them with pacman -U. However, I'm wondering if the kernel will be updated too in order to support the new drivers? If I need to install a testing kernel to use Mesa 7.9, that might be a deal killer and I might force myself to wait.

#4 2010-10-12 20:54:09

Dogmeat

There's no kernel package in testing at the moment.

#5 2010-10-13 14:32:03

jlacroix

I went ahead and took the plunge. I downloaded all the Mesa packages (and dependencies) and installed them. KDE now works A LOT better. The blur effect works, and it seems to be faster. A few of the kwin/OpenGL bugs remain, but the blur effect works so it appears that I didn't take this risk for no reward. The thumbnail previews are fixed with the new version of Mesa as well.

I'm not proud of the fact I mixed packages from testing, but some of the issues/lag with KDE and Mesa 7.8 was driving me crazy, and I wasn't sure how long it would be before Mesa 7.9 hits extra. When I update packages it complains that Mesa is newer than the repositories but I guess that is to be expected.

In the testing forum, I see some people are having problems with Mesa 7.9 so I wouldn't recommend anyone else do this. I guess I got lucky, Mesa 7.9 works well for me.

I am marking this solved for now. However, I look forward to the new Xorg as well as the new Intel driver, whenever they may hit extra. Hopefully those packages will solve the rest of my issues.

Board footer