You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-14 06:42:07

vikrang

Display /Audio Problems - Kernel issues, WM

I have dell vostro 1500 laptop Intel C2D proc,

1.Kernel 2.6.35 is not supporting Xorg 1.8 and displays only grid and dot...I am also not able to log into console (ctrl+F1)...I have to do a hard boot...

2.Xorg problem is solved upon downgrading kernel to 2.6.32-lts .But ALSA mod is not recognized ..When I try to enter options snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf , I get error "Ignoring bad command Line" at boot...I read in one of the posts that modutils package to be upgraded...But when I tried that as a dependency kernel was also upgraded to 2.6.35!!! Now I have to roll back

3.I am currently using SLIM WM and Xfce4... At boot the display is quite jumpy ...After kernel modules are loaded and just before Xorg loads I get lots of white lines and the monitor flickers for a second or so , then SLIM login pops up...Cant it be made more smooth..I have Nvidia Geo FX 8400 ..But how do I install it in Arch? I tried the wiki method nvid175xxx  (my card is mentioned) but on installation it says my nvidia is not supported by that driver ...

4. I have openbox session also set up which has lot of empty menu items...Should I installl all those separately....I am planning to install openoffice also ...How do u toggle between Xfce and Openbox..Does it require separate software installations for each WM?? I am confused

Board footer