You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-16 19:51:41

infested999

ALSA: Setting default device (Not card, but device)

This seems to be a riddle that nobody can solve;

- The system only has one card by the name of 'Intel'
- That card is the regular 6 3.5mm jack soundcard.
- I have a mic plugged into the red microphone plug
- I open up Audacity and go to preferences, there are two microphone plugs, 'hw:0,0' and 'hw:0,2'
- I have no idea where 0,0 is and it doesnt make any sound, I plugged the mic into every plug on the board and nothing records.
- i can set Audacity to use 0,2 and then it will record my voice just fine

When I open up xfce's mixer I see that there are two mic plugs:

Fft5y.png

Apparently "Front Mic" is the device that is hw:0,0 right now/

Now when I play Savage2 I don't have an option to choose the device, I can choose the soundcard but that doesn't help. How do I set the default Device so that the game uses hw:0,2 in push-to-talk?

#2 2010-10-24 13:56:51

infested999

Re: ALSA: Setting default device (Not card, but device)

Nothing? I knew it is something close to impossible :s

I have literally used Windows for about 2 weeks now ONLY so that I can play savage2 and use my mic in-game. Why is it so hard to do in here?

Is this something that could be posted in a ALSA bug tracker?

#3 2010-10-24 15:43:28

test1000

from the alsa archwiki:

"Setting the default Microphone/Capture Device
Some applications (Pidgin, Adobe Flash) do not provide an option to change the capture device. It becomes an issue if your microphone is on a separate device (i.e. USB webcam or microphone) than your internal sound card. To change only the default capture device, leaving the default playback device as is, you can modify your ~/.asoundrc file to include the following:

pcm.usb
{
    type hw
    card U0x46d0x81d
}

pcm.!default
{
    type asym
    playback.pcm
    {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix"
    }
    capture.pcm
    {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "usb"
    }
}

Replace "U0x46d0x81d" with your capture device's card name in ALSA. You can use 'arecord -L' to list all the capture devices detected by ALSA."

EDIT: maybe i didn't read your post well enough.. im just guessing here but maybe you can replace card U0x46d0x81d with
device name_of_device..

maybe.. smile

Last edited by test1000 (2010-10-24 17:06:36)

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#4 2010-10-24 17:16:40

test1000

hmm. does this work?

pcm.mic
{
    type hw
    card "hw:0,2"
}
pcm.!default
{
    type asym
    playback.pcm
    {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "dmix"
    }
    capture.pcm
    {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "mic"
    }
}

?

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#5 2010-10-24 17:17:47

test1000

you probably have to restart the apps using alsa..

#6 2010-10-24 23:16:26

test1000

no wait. neither card nor  device work with that argument.. (where do i find info about this??) but it might still work with only "U0x46d0x81d"....

Board footer