You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-18 21:42:19

Japanlinux

Can maximus work with Pekwm

Hello! I have a netbook, and I've been trying out maximus with a gnome environment (I liked Ubuntu's unity idea, so I tried to emulate it, works fairly well...). I love maximus in combination with putting the min/max/close buttons in a panel, but I want to go back to using pekwm, which is my favorite window manager. When I pekwm --replace, maximus will no longer expand my window borders into the panel. This saddens me. Can anyone help me fix this. Or better yet, is there a native way to get Pekwm to perform maximus' duty? I'll stick with the gnome panel, since it contains the WindowApplet and talika, which i like, I just want to replace metacity with pekwm. I know WindowApplet (min/max buttons in panel) works with pekwm as I've tested that, I just need to get maximus' ability in pekwm. If I can do that, I'll be one happy camper. smile

One more thing I've noticed in this process. I use Adeskbar (awesome lightweight dock which I like over wbar) which I have intellihiding on the gnome desktop. However, when i replace with pekwm, the bar fails to reappear with a maxed window, the bar doesn't appear when I hover over the screen edge. Works if I have the 99.9% maxed window, but not an actual maxed window. It appears pekwm doesn't aknowledge it (or it doesn't aknowledge pekwm...) because even 'reserve space at screen edge' doesn't work.

Btw, I set Adeskbar to be like Ubuntu Unity's 'dock' (and use Faenza icons on it) and it works awesome, with intellihide though smile

#2 2010-10-19 13:40:27

Japanlinux

Re: Can maximus work with Pekwm

Pehaps my explanation was to long. Here's what I'm looking for:

- Pekwm to auto-maximize windows and lose decorations. When not maximized, decorations return.

-Adeskbar not liking pekwm windows with it's intellihide feature...

#3 2010-10-19 14:02:49

kmason
Website

I'd try autoproperties, its possible to make all windows follow one autoproperty, and also possible to remove decorations and maximize them.  You can even make them all go full screen if you want.

#4 2010-10-19 18:33:26

Japanlinux

autoproperties huh? that is the ONLY pekwm file that I have not messed with, so i'm not sure how to deal with it...

After scanning through the whole document, I know these commands will be useful to imitate maximus.
MaximizedVertical = "True"
MaximizedHorizontal = "True"
Border = "False"
Titlebar = "False"

However, making a rule with just these would make all windows undecorated. I want only maximized buttons to be undecorated; when they are unmaximized, the borders and titlebar should return. Have any ideas?

also: thanks Kmason for the tip on how to start doing this wink

#5 2010-10-19 19:49:25

kmason
Website

As far as I know, that's one thing you would have to live with - you can't control when autoproperties come into effect except when the program matching the description is made present, and there is also no way for autoproperties to apply actions based on window state as far as I know.

#6 2010-10-19 23:18:38

Japanlinux

really? that's a bummer. Could anyone who uses Pekwm test the program maximus then and tell me if it works for them? It doesn't work for me with pekwm, but I'm wondering if it is a problem on my end, of if it's a pekwm/maximus problem. Alternatively, if anyone could tell me of a different program (lightweight: ie, no compiz! ;P) that could pull off what i'm hoping for, I'd appreciate it.

Board footer