You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-18 22:33:12

ewaller
Administrator

Virtualization Environment at Login [solved]

I had an interesting thought this afternoon.

What are the chances of starting X straight into Virtualbox without a real WM?

I'm thinking of a situation in which someone could log into a machine from Slim, gdm, or even using startx from a prompt and enter directly into a Virtual machine.  Those around me who have no interest in even hearing the work Linux would not need to dual boot my machine.  I feel much safer not giving that other OS access to my machine outside of a sandbox and this would ease the Linux anxiety of my spouse.

I've never heard of this being done.  Has anyone else?

Last edited by ewaller (2010-10-19 02:18:13)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2010-10-18 22:43:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Virtualization Environment at Login [solved]

I think there's no reason it won't be possible. The first time she presses the right control key will be disorientating though.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-18 23:25:22

karol
Archivist

You could be running some hypervisor and pick one of the guest OSes from Slim / gdm etc.

#4 2010-10-19 02:03:19

hurleyef

I use slim and have a line in my xinitrc for my debian-mint vm.  Configure slim.conf accordingly and it works great.

My .xinitrc:

DEFAULT_SESSION=awesome
case $1 in
  awesome) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch awesome ;;
  urxvt) exec urxvt -geometry 179x52 ;;
  mintvm) exec `VirtualBox --startvm 'Linux Mint'` ;;
  *) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch $DEFAULT_SESSION ;;
esac

#5 2010-10-19 02:17:41

ewaller
Administrator

hurleyef wrote:

I use slim and have a line in my xinitrc for my debian-mint vm.  Configure slim.conf accordingly and it works great.

My .xinitrc:

DEFAULT_SESSION=awesome
case $1 in
  awesome) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch awesome ;;
  urxvt) exec urxvt -geometry 179x52 ;;
  mintvm) exec `VirtualBox --startvm 'Linux Mint'` ;;
  *) exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch $DEFAULT_SESSION ;;
esac

That is exactly what I had in mind.  I just needed some help with the incantation :-)

karol wrote:

You could be running some hypervisor and pick one of the guest OSes from Slim / gdm etc.

Hypervisor.  There is a serious hole in my knowledge.  I'm aware of it, I know it would help in my $DAYJOB, and I've promised myself to learn about it -- someday.  Maybe that someday is here.

ngoonee wrote:

I think there's no reason it won't be possible. The first time she presses the right control key will be disorientating though.

Good point!  Maybe I should make the host key a bit more obscure. 

Thanks Guys.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer