You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-20 01:12:28

greatlakes

Cannot get dual sound sources playing at the same time

Hello
New to Arch. I am trying to play a web based flash source and a web based java source at the same time. I can get both to play seperately but when I have both running only the first one opened has sound.  I also installed pulseaudio-gnome, alsa-plugins, Firefox codecs and plugins. Below is my sound devices. Thanks for your reply.

lspci|grep Audio
00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller

#2 2010-10-20 01:35:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Cannot get dual sound sources playing at the same time

You have installed pulseaudio, but are you actually using it? It doesn't start automatically (AFAIK) in Arch, at the very least you need .asoundrc or /etc/asound modified.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-10-20 01:52:19

greatlakes

Under startup apps I show both pulseaudio sound system and pulse audio sound system kde routing policy check marked. I am unfamilar with what needs to be modify in asound(rc) file. Should I not see a pulseaduio icon in control center? Thanks.

#4 2010-10-20 06:40:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Run pavucontrol. Do you see your sound card or null sink? Do your apps show up there?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-10-20 20:40:23

greatlakes

Under output devices I see two listings:
RS780 Azalia controller Digital stereo (HDMI) and
Simultaneous output to Rs780 Azalia controller Digital stereo (HDMI)

#6 2010-10-20 23:17:03

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Try playing each of your apps. Do they show up in 'Playback'? What sink is selected, for each of them?

Why do you have 'Simultaneous output' anyway. Do you have multiple devices at some point in time that you need to output to at the same time? What modifications have you made to your pulse configs, or to your .asoundrc?

In other words, have you read and applied the Pulseaudio wiki.

#7 2010-10-21 13:14:40

greatlakes

Thanks. I have tried a number of things to fix this and now I am not sure what I have done! (newbie) I think I will uninstall all sound modules and read the wiki and start over. Thanks again!

Board footer