You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-22 05:47:10

bicyclingrevolution

Troubleshooting Suspend to RAM

My desktop computer (which I custom-built) has never suspended to RAM under Linux. I have tried out Windows 7 on it and standby worked after installing the ATI drivers. I have just recently switched from Mandriva to Arch with KDE 4.5 on both my netbook and desktop. Standby automagically works on my netbook, but my desktop still has the same problem as under Mandriva. The network goes down, the screen blanks, then everything comes back up instantly. Wake on LAN is disabled in the bios. I started out using the FOSS ATI driver, then switched to the proprietary driver, neither one made a difference on standby. I compared /var/log/pm-suspend.log on my netbook and desktop and all suspend processes appear to suceed. On the desktop's log, right between suspending and resuming, is: /usr/lib/pm-utils/pm-functions: line 297: echo: write error: No such file or directory. In that sh file, line 297 by kwrite's measurement references /sys/power/state in the block:

# always fall back to kernel methods if nothing else was declared

if [ -z "$SUSPEND_MODULE" ]; then
    if grep -q mem /sys/power/state; then
        SUSPEND_MODULE="kernel"
        do_suspend() { echo -n "mem" >/sys/power/state; } >Line 297<
    elif [ -c /dev/pmu ] && pm-pmu --check; then
        SUSPEND_MODULE="kernel"
        do_suspend() { pm-pmu --suspend; }
    elif grep -q standby /sys/power/state; then
        SUSPEND_MODULE="kernel"
        do_suspend() { echo -n "standby" >/sys/power/state; }
    fi
fi

The file does exist and just like contains just these words: mem disk
Can anyone offer further insight?

#2 2010-11-24 18:35:16

landhar

Re: Troubleshooting Suspend to RAM

Hi bicyclingrevolution !

I have the exact same problem with the exact same diagnostic:

- after a

sudo pm-suspend

the computer wakes up immediately
- the logs in

/var/log/pm-suspend

don't complain about anything but a "No such file or directory" at line 297
- the file

/sys/power/state

exists and contains

mem disk

I have pm-utils, cpufreq, acpid and lm_sensors installed (and started at start-up via rc.conf).

I've run out of ideas as to what to do hmm

#3 2010-11-24 19:08:35

thms

Same here.

Suspend worked fine the last months.

Now I have the same error in /var/log/pm-suspend:

/usr/lib/pm-utils/pm-functions: Zeile 297: echo: Schreibfehler: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden.

It complains about a file oder folder that can't be found.

I'm using nvidia driver and KDE

#4 2010-11-26 11:57:34

thms

Hm...where should we file a bug report? Does this occur only in Arch, only with KDE (what do you use?) oder a problem with pm-utils itself?

#5 2010-11-26 23:49:21

bicyclingrevolution

Before I switched to Arch, I used Mandriva and the symptoms were exactly the same, so it isn't just Arch. I tried MWM, so it isn't KDE. The problem must be within pm-utils. I don't have pm-utils in my daemon array, so I will try that.

#6 2010-11-27 14:46:54

thms

You can find the bug report here:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31950

#7 2010-11-27 20:43:42

whoops

Hi!

Is there a workaround?

I've got the problem on a machine with a new install. On my old one I don't... can't find a difference.

edit: wait a second... does your pm-hibernate work? Mine doesn't.
Had same error in line 315 when trying to hibernate: I "touch"ed the missing file I found in that line (which was "/sys/power/disk") - after that, the error jumped to line 316 which is  "/sys/power/state" too... file exists and looks fine, don't know what to do.

Got the same problem when trying to "sudo bash -c 'echo -n [...]" directly to that file... so is this really a pm-utils issue or acpi or kernel or something? It says file not found, but screen flickers anyway...

Last edited by whoops (2010-11-27 21:49:32)

#8 2010-11-28 05:44:24

bicyclingrevolution

I wish there was a workaround, but I can't get standby to work in any way.
My hibernate has never worked either. It also doesn't work on my laptop: it looks like it is going to hiberate with just a blinking underscore on the screen instead of the normal shutdown output, but then boots up with standard output. I just don't care enough about hibernate to troubleshoot it because a cold boot is plenty fast and KDE reopens any applications--and often files too--that were open when shutting down. In contrast, I would use standby several times every day.

Last edited by bicyclingrevolution (2010-11-28 05:49:28)

#9 2010-11-28 09:02:54

tomk
Forum Fellow

Suspend and hibernate both work for me, using pm-utils with uswsusp. I realise you may not want to use uswsusp, but at least it works. smile

#10 2010-11-28 10:53:36

whoops

Did you switch to uswsusp after getting the same error?  I tried it, it didn't work either - though that might be a different / unrelated problem, didn't look too much into uswsusp yet.

edit: phew - whatever this is, I definitely can't fix it. Do I have to consider changing the mainboard if I really need to get this working soon?

edit2:
Does this look related to you (what "matkam" writes... seem to be multiple different problems in this old thread?)?
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=744340
I wonder if it could be mainboards with USB3 support causing the problem now...? didn't try workarounds mentioned there yet as I'm not even sure I'm even looking in the right direction... I might try "random bits of code from the internet" later though, when I'm desperate enough wink

Last edited by whoops (2010-11-28 17:23:49)

#11 2010-11-29 10:25:34

whoops

That did the trick for me:

matkam wrote:

I've found a workaround at the expense of not being able to wakeup via usb (ie keyboard or mouse). Create a file under /etc/pm/config.d/ containing the following line:

SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd uhci_hcd ohci_hcd usbcore"

To resume, you'll have to use you system's power button since USB will not work while in suspend.

Found this workaround via https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/291300
It seems like there is an issue with the usb modules.

#12 2010-12-05 10:20:14

thms

Latest pacman -Syu solved the porblem.

#13 2010-12-07 18:31:14

twarkie

Hm, this is still not working for me even after the last system upgrade today. I have the exact same problem as bicyclingrevolution, and I can't disable the usb modules because I need to be able to wake the computer (HTPC) up by the remote. Any ideas?

#14 2010-12-09 22:50:35

whoops

Now after that update I'm getting it on the machine that previously worked fine... -.-". Workaround is not working around that.

Both have been using the same repos and were updated every day.

edit: reverting to old packages for everything that was updated during the last 10 days didn't help so far - didn't reboot yet, that's what I was trying to avoid. Guess there's no way around a poweroff now... try with reboot tomorrow.
edit2: after several reboots with the Workaround file, after downgrading and upgrading packages repeatedly, for some reason it works again. No Idea what exactly I did. Strange.

Last edited by whoops (2010-12-10 07:42:58)

#15 2010-12-24 08:20:07

thms

Yes, weird. Again it's not working here sad

#16 2010-12-24 09:22:29

whoops

Mine has been working with almost no problems since - just the wifi usb device isn't working after resume, but that might be the workaround.

#17 2010-12-31 17:23:40

Bogart

Today I installed Arch in a new laptop (Dell XPS 15) and I experienced this problem.

Creating a file called /etc/pm/config.d/workaroud with the following line solved it for me:

SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd usbcore"

#18 2011-01-08 23:30:40

whoops

Now mine stopped working again. Can't figure out what's the reason for this problem disappearing and reappearing.

Strange stuff I did lately include:
- a few days worth of archlinux updates
- add ahci to kernel modules
- attach and detach many different usb devices
- mkinitcpio -p kernel26
- trying to hotswap a sata-drive (didn't work)
- added a sata drive while hibernated (it worked!)
- remove a sata drive while hibernated (resume did work)
- installed pulseaudio
- removed pulseaudio
- tried to remove everything that has gnome dependencies
- hit my machine very hard because it started vibrating
- turned off cpu overclocking in bios

Maybe it's just random? Can't remember having done anything like this the last time it stopped working for a few days.

Last edited by whoops (2011-01-08 23:32:46)

#19 2011-01-09 02:55:16

msx
Website

Hi ppl, did you tried with other distros? May be if you find anyone that works then you can 'port' it's settings and try them out in Arch.

On my side all I have to say is hibernating/suspend _never_ worked smooth (or even at all) with GNU/Linux. Both hibernate and suspend works fine the FIRST TIME but after that I _must_ reboot my machine before going suspend/hibernate again because next time my machine won't wake up and if it does is surely there will be some type of system corruption: wireless will not work (@whoops) [0], sound will be crappy and so on.

My box specs are: QuadCore 8400 2.66ghz on a GigaByte mobo / 4gb RAM / ATI RADEON HD 5750 1 gb.
At work I use a Linux Mint 10 (based on Ubuntu 10.10 I think, yuck!) and I have the very same problem with a Celeron 2.20ghz on a Foxconn mobo / 1.5gb RAM / integrated videocard.

[0] A friend of mine have a new, shiny Asus 1201-something netbook with Debian Squeeze (Testing) and while suspend / hibernate works ok she needs to reboot her computer in order to make wifi work again.

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

#20 2011-01-09 09:06:42

whoops

Before the bug mentioned here occurred first, it worked flawlessly for me. Used pm-hibernate many times a day for years and it was so reliable I mostly didn't even bother to safe my stuff before hibernating.

After trying around some more, it almost looks, as if there's some random element in what "mkinitcpio -p kernel26" does. After doing it about 10 times and rebooting without doing it about 20 times, it looks as if the "status" whether pm-utils work on my machine changes only after rewriting that "initial ramdisk enviroment". How this can be possible avoids me - maybe coincidence, I'm going to try again some time, just for now I'm sick of watching boot messages scroll by.

#21 2012-06-20 16:00:56

Convergence

Bogart wrote:

Today I installed Arch in a new laptop (Dell XPS 15) and I experienced this problem.

Creating a file called /etc/pm/config.d/workaroud with the following line solved it for me:

SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd usbcore"

This worked for me.  Thanks!

It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing
---  William Murderface

Board footer