You are not logged in.

#1 2003-08-22 22:04:04

rls

KDE doesn't recognize CUPS

I have CUPS working, thanks in large part to this user forum, but KDE doesn't recognize it. That is, I cannot print from any KDE app. The error message is: lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable. To forstall questions, CUPS is working because the daemon is running and I can generate a test print from localhost:631-Printer.

The KDE Control Module - Printing Manager has a menu for the "Print System Currently Used" and CUPS isn't in the list. Based on the same menu in Slack, the CUPS Printing System should be listed.

My hypothesis is that CUPS isn't a menu choice because I installed CUPS after I installed the fundamental KDE packages. Can anyone confirm this hypothesis? I am loath to delete all of KDE and loose my config without it being a necessity.

Another possibility is that I haven't installed the relevant kde package(s) since I haven't installed them all in the AL spirit of lean and fast.

Any intel would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Rick

"Es gibt nichts mehr praktish als theorie" L. Boltzmann

#2 2003-08-22 22:28:59

dp
Website

Re: KDE doesn't recognize CUPS

KDE: control center : Peripherials: Printers:

-> control, that the "Print system currently used" is set to
"Generic UNIX LPD Print System"

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2003-08-22 23:52:25

rls

The thrust of dp's post is lost on me. The info is correct for my situation.

#4 2003-08-23 03:52:48

Jagged

http://localhost:631

Nkawtg...n!

#5 2003-08-23 11:20:15

janwil

Hi!

I also installed CUPS yesterday and had the same observation that CUPS did not appear as a choice for printing system under Kprinter. Still, CUPS seems to implement the standard lpr interface (check pacman -Qo /usr/bin/lpr) and hence if You can tell Your system to print stuff using lpr, everything should work fine; at least it did for me. I think this was what dp tried to tell You.

Unfortunately I do not have access to my AL computer right now and I can not test printing from KOffice or something, but at least printing from gv and OOO was fine. You might try to test those as well.

Hope this helps.
Jan

#6 2003-08-23 13:52:26

rls

I discovered the error - an incorrect entry in my client.conf file. I can now print using lpr or from a KDE app. My misconception was in thinking because the CUPS daemon was running, CUPS must be working. Having the CUPS daemon running is a necessary but not sufficient condition for CUPS to work.

But one puzzle remains, CUPS still isn't in the list of Print Systems.

Many thanks for the good intel.

Regards, Rick

#7 2003-08-23 15:38:25

_JeffG_
Website

True, lpr and friends allow printing.  However, KDE can speak CUPS natively.  It allows you to do everything the webinterface is supposed to.  Does not bother me since I never used the KDE CUPS management features.

Jeff

#8 2003-08-24 06:41:33

_JeffG_
Website

OK, did some research on this missing CUPS support issue.

It appears that kdelibs' configure script checks for cups header files automatically.  If it can't find cups by way of compiling a program using the header files, then it disables cups.  Therefore, since cups is not listed as a dependency on Arch Linux, cups probably was not installed on the system used to build kdelibs.

If it can not find both the headers or the libraries it will disable cups during the build of kdelibs.

I will test and verify this after my kdebase compiles.  I going to play with the drop shadow patch on kde-look.org.  After that, I will rebuild kdelibs on my box and see if the Cups Support gets enabled.

Jeff

#9 2003-08-24 18:36:03

_JeffG_
Website

OK, CUPS shows up now smile

Take a look for yourself:

printman.png

Jeff

#10 2003-08-25 02:07:42

rls