You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-23 16:53:59

raj.k

DHCP Issues

Installing Arch using the Netinstall method. Whenever I choose to use DHCP, it says that the DHCP server cannot be found. I was able to install with DHCP with another router and the same laptop, so I'm pretty sure it's my router that's the problem.

It's a relatively new router which my new ISP gave (SMC8014W-G model to be exact), so I'm pretty sure it has DHCP support, but I think it may not be enabled. How would I go about enabling DHCP?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

"Google is your friend."

#2 2010-10-23 18:05:43

Thor@Flanders

Re: DHCP Issues

Hi,

This thing does have a DHCP server on board, to access the web interface, point the browser (back-up machine?) to 192.168.0.1, check if the netmask is the same...
See if the DHCP is active (sniff around - they made it easy to find, I'm sure)
Once active, redo the netinstall, configure the inerface to "look" for a DHCP server.

Of course, you could bypass this by using a static IP address at install and then switch to DHCP later on...

Luck

Thor

#3 2010-10-23 22:16:47

raj.k

Thanks. I went to the web interface, but it says the DHCP server was enabled. I checked both eth0 and wlan0 during the install, neither worked.

Could it be my router? Is there another DHCP utility to run before installing?

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

"Google is your friend."

#4 2010-11-09 08:44:31

Thor@Flanders

Hi,

Sorry about the *very* late reply...a project just ate ... me.

I have a D-Link router/modem here, seem to all to eager to dish out IP addresses. I have to KEEP it from doing that...but enuff about my woes big_smile

What I'd suggest is an install with a fixed IP address (get one if needed from your network-buddah) and then tweak it to go DHCP...

Seems the easiest thing to do.

By the way, my DHCP server is my modem AND gateway on the LAN, perhaps that is a clue.

Thor
EDIT : What subnet/IP realm does your router "live" in? Just occured to me. Example of a print server I recently did some battle with. It was configured with address 192.168.0.1 and the customer's LAN that needed a printer had 192.168.1.x (noticed the 0 and 1???)- ovbiously the print server was not reachable. Check this, if possible...
Maybe you'll have to do as I did: reconfigure the router's IP address - or the client, whatever comes least damaging...

Last edited by Thor@Flanders (2010-11-09 08:58:36)

#5 2010-11-09 13:16:11

pyther
Website

@Thor@Flanders;
What the hell are you smoking? The whole point of dhcp is to allow the end user to get an ip address without worrying about subnet masks and network boundaries.

@OP
One solution would be to use a static ip (however make sure you know your network/subnet mask, that your router uses)

Alternatively you could try to run dhcpcd -d (the -d stands for debug) from the command line to get a better idea of what is going on.

What install media are you using? Maybe the NIC module in the kernel is buggy? You may want to try using the archboot media.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#6 2010-11-12 10:04:49

Thor@Flanders

Yo,

@pyther@ big_smile - at install, I never use DHCP, allows me to have more control, just as you suggested (as did I some posts ago...). But anyway, yes, DHCP is to take that out of the use's hands. So, the only "guilty" party has to be the ... router...
Anyway...this is where I give up... wink
I'll just read the thread and hope to learn something.

Wellness

Thor

Board footer