You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-23 17:08:45

king.flasher.dave
Website

[SOLVED] x86_64 + Thunderbird + Lightning + Truecrypt: Calendar broken

Hey there, everyone.

For about 3 weeks now, I have a problem getting Lightning to work properly (while being on the latest release).
I've now tested it with my own profile (because at first I was thinking that some settings messed up the plugins functionality as I'm also using the same profile under Win7) and a brand new, empty one.
With both lightning seems broken, so I guess that it's a general problem caused by the thunderbird package or some dependency.

With my own profile, most functionality is gone, none of my calendars are shown, thunderbird is stable but lightning is not functional

tbwithprofileg.png

With an empty (new, without other add-ons) profile, the standard functionality of lightning is shown, but not clickable (can't close the events for the next days and all that stuff), so basically the same as above.

tbwithoutprofile.png

In neither of the two up there the name is shown in the calendar tab, either when it's loaded or reloaded.

At first I used thunderbird_branded from AUR (which sort of should become obsolete now, as Lightning has also become available for x86_64), because it has Lightning included, but for weeks it gives the same results as mentioned above. So basically right now I'm using the standard thunderbird package again and the provided x86_64 xpi files.

Maybe someone is experiencing the same problem as I do and has fixed it somehow? Should I file a bug report for it here or go upstream for that?
After a quick search I couldn't find anything matching my criteria in the bugzilla, so either this is Arch related or noone was up for filing that bug yet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by king.flasher.dave (2010-10-24 14:40:38)

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

#2 2010-10-23 17:38:41

Barghest

Re: [SOLVED] x86_64 + Thunderbird + Lightning + Truecrypt: Calendar broken

Hi,

I'm using lightning from here (1.0b2): ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/calendar/ligh … ux-x86_64/ on thunderbird3 and x86_64 and I don't have any problems.

#3 2010-10-23 17:45:33

king.flasher.dave
Website

Hmm, thanks for the hint, but I guess I've used the same file (see the link above).
Tried the file on the ftp server as well, but it has the same result.
It's really awkward, as this even happens if I use a new profile hmm

Anybody with the same problem?

#4 2010-10-24 12:09:47

king.flasher.dave
Website

I'm getting something like this when running thunderbird through terminal and trying to display lightning in a tab on an empty profile:

-- Exception object --
+ message (string) 'Components.classes['@mozilla.org/calendar/datetime;1'] is undefined'
+ fileName (string) 'chrome://calendar/content/calUtils.js'
+ lineNumber (number) 75
+ stack (string) 759 chars
+ name (string) 'TypeError'
-- Stack Trace --
createDateTime()@chrome://calendar/content/calUtils.js:75
now()@chrome://calendar/content/calUtils.js:344
switchToView(null)@chrome://calendar/content/calendar-views.js:370
ltnSelectCalendarView(null)@chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:255
ltnShowCalendarView(null,(void 0))@chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:272
showCalendarView(null)@chrome://calendar/content/calendar-views.js:287
ltnSwitch2Calendar()@chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:452
([object Object],[object Object])@chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:85
openTab("calendar",[object Object])@chrome://messenger/content/tabmail.xml:542
oncommand([object XULCommandEvent])@chrome://messenger/content/messenger.xul:1

I figured that it might have to do with my setup. I'm running the profile from within a mounted truecrypt volume. If I don't do that, everything works fine it seems.
So it might be related to this post in a way: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=105701
But after reading it closeley I don't really know how to apply what's written there to my problem as I don't use symlinks in any way but thunderbirds profilemanager to start a different profile. hmm

I'm thinking about a permissions problem and will post results later...

Last edited by king.flasher.dave (2010-10-24 12:29:33)

#5 2010-10-24 14:00:49

Pank

I had similar problems with lightning, but building it myself solved them. I just used the PKGBUILD from ABS.
--Rasmus

Arch x64 on Thinkpad X200s/W530

#6 2010-10-24 14:38:40

king.flasher.dave
Website

Hmm, okay, I've solved it now, it seems.

Problem was: The file and folder permissions within the truecrypt volume.
Fun fact: Now that I have LESS permissions set (only standard mount options which give read/write to the user mounting it) thunderbird + lightning work fine. Even no problem with enigmail on top of it.
As soon as I switch back to the older mount options I've used before (sets read access to everybody, read/write to users group, so basically MORE permissive) lightning stops working and messes up like shown above.

That I call some strange behavior... big_smile

Anyhow, solution seems to be: Don't set global mount options for your truecrypt (even if they are more permissive) as this will mess up lightning! wink

I'll try mounting my other filesystems which require special mount options following the wiki entry and setting up an alias in .bashrc, so I don't have to set global mount options anymore.

Solved for me, hope it helped anyone else running into this.

Board footer