You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-24 23:13:37

jwhendy

[SOLVED] ((none)) login/tty and no keyboard after last upgrade?

Hi,

I dual boot and it's been a while since I last upgraded. I booted into Arch, updated everything, and used the system for a few days before rebooting (perhaps a bad call). I just rebooted today and my login prompt is like this:

((none)) tty1
(none) login:

But my keyboard does nothing. No alt+f* to get to a different terminal, no nothing. I have to hard kill the machine. I've tried twice but would prefer not to do that more than I have to. The second time, fsck didn't work so I booted into the Arch install disk and ran it manually. I tried to chroot into my Arch install and re-run pacman -Syu but got transient server failures. Not sure what all needs to be in place to try and do that, though.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I get the same behavior with arch and arch fallback. I boot to login prompt, not directly to X so it's not anything to do with that, at least not that I would figure.

So far, the only thing I've been able to find is from 2007 (LINK) but it seemed related to X. I'm going to check rc.conf next time I boot up but wanted to see if there's any other suggestions from someone more experience before I boot up again and potentially have to hard kill.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.

Last edited by jwhendy (2010-10-26 02:53:26)

#2 2010-10-26 00:03:12

Knute

Re: [SOLVED] ((none)) login/tty and no keyboard after last upgrade?

Ok.  Just to point out what I'm seeing.

Those nones seem to be where the hostname would be.

When I switch over to a console I get:

Arch Linux 2.6.35-ARCH (hostname) (tty#)

(hostname) Login:

Since all that info is missing on yours (and I haven't really tinkered with mine), it would appear that information was either missing or corrupted.

That info is stored in /etc, btw.

Knute

#3 2010-10-26 00:16:00

jwhendy

@Knute: indeed.

Somewhat embarrassingly, I just found out about manually maintaining *.pacnew files today when researching an unrelated issue. It made me wonder if that was my problem. Perhaps something is goofed in /etc which would explain a ton.

I'm in OS X right now but will reboot shortly and try to fix this issue.

The keyboard issue is troubling as well, though. Some have reported no logins, but often it's a PAM or login manager issue trying to go into X directly. I'm doing no such thing and literally can't get *anything* to work on my keyboard. That makes me wonder...

If I were to boot into the Arch CD and try to run pacman manually... what do I have to do other than

# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt
# chroot /mnt

?

I tried that yesterday but failed. I'm wondering if I have to mount some other items for that to work. /proc?

#4 2010-10-26 02:53:09

jwhendy

Solution:
- booted up Arch cd
- mounted a flash drive and my Arch partition
- copied anything with a .pacnew counterpart onto a flash drive (scanned /var/log/pacman.log as well as 'find /mnt/hd -name *.pac*'
- used my wife's computer to merge any changes (could have done it with the live cd but emacs + split windows was so much easier
- copied the files back over into /etc on my own computer
- reboot
- relief

What a great damn feeling. Boy do I feel silly for having gone this much time without learning about .pacnew files and how to handle them. It was literally an accident that I even stumbled on something about them today and wondered if that was my issue. I'm lucky I didn't break things a lot sooner!

Board footer