You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-25 20:46:03

softtower

Text drawing/refresh (screen invalidation) issues. GTK + nVidia card.

Hey guys,

After installing a bunch of updates recently I started noticing strange things. All of them are related to painting text on the screen:

* When typing something in Skype, I hardly see what I type: characters show up with a 1-2 second delay, or sometimes just don't show up at all.
* When copying&pasting text into Skype it doesn't draw it - looks like white on white, until you hover your mouse over it or move/resize window - looks like that area is not being invalidated/repainted.
* When editing text in gvim parts of text sometimes disappear, but reappear when you switch focus or resize, i.e. cause a redraw.
* When I click on dropdowns in Google Chrome sometimes they don't, well, drop down - like if someone has stolen my click events. When this happens the dropdown appears stuck, so I revert to using keyboard to select something.

I cannot pinpoint the exact moment when these issues started to happen since I don't use Skype all that often, and redrawing issues in Vim are not very frequent. Nevertheless, this is extremely annoying.

My best bet is to blame either XOrg 1.9 or nvidia's latest driver: 260.19.12 (or a combination of the two). However, in other apps everything works fine. I also use Compiz, Glxgears gives me 2980FPS and everything works fine.

I googled the hell of archwiki and the big Internet but haven't found anything.

Has anyone else experienced this or maybe saw some related info online?
Thank you!

Board footer