You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-26 00:03:43

Tux the penguin

can't change font in xfce

I can't change the font in xfce. I used to be able to but today, after adding some new fonts to /usr/share/fonts/ttf from this website: http://www.1001fonts.com/index.html , I could not switch to them.
I go to Settings -> Appearance in the menu and then I go to the font tab. I can bring up the window to choose a new font and the previews show correctly, but once I select it nothing changes, even after logging in and out. I tried changing the hinting, subpixel order and using a custom DPI setting, but it still did not work. I can't use any of the fonts I had installed previously either. I don't know if it matters, but the fonts I installed were unispace, terminator real nfi, steel city comic and vibrocentric. Could someone please tell me how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
EDIT I rebooted and the fonts worked in Google Chrome and Firefox and archup, but nowhere else (as far as I know)

Last edited by Tux the penguin (2010-10-27 02:00:09)

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#2 2010-10-26 05:37:30

lagagnon
Website

Re: can't change font in xfce

Did you update the font cache with:

sudo fc-cache -vf

?

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-10-26 19:08:14

Tux the penguin

lagagnon wrote:

Did you update the font cache with:

sudo fc-cache -vf

?

No. I probably forgot because it ran it automatically when I installed fonts from the AUR. Anyway, I just did that and then rebooted, but I still have the same problem. Thanks for reminding me to do that, though.

MSI CR600 / 3GB Memory / 320GB HDD / Intel Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00 GHz | Archlinux x86_64

#4 2010-10-29 12:22:37

Tux the penguin

I figured out what was wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. I am using the Macbuntu gtk theme and it seems to have its own font that it always uses, so the font only looked right in the applications not using the gtk theme. Is there a way to make a theme use a different font, other than the one it defaults to? If not, that is okay, I can always use another theme. I am pretty sure that a font is specified inside the gtk-2.0 folder in the theme, but where? Is it in the gtkrc? There are some places that have fonts listed, so do I just change them?

Last edited by Tux the penguin (2010-11-01 02:17:41)

Board footer