You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-27 15:14:23

nixIT

[SOLVED] desktop effects and compiz

Hello all,

Recently rebuilt my system with Arch 32, had 64 on it and mucked it up.  Everything appears to be running smoothly, at least as can be.  I do have a few questions regarding compiz and other desktop effects.

Whenever I run compiz, it will eventually crash, stripping all borders off windows and I cannot do anything, cannot click anywhere, though I can navigate any open apps on my desktop, just cant bring down menus or such.  the only way to fix is a reboot, and a good thing I have been keeping terminal up.

Which brings me to my second question, I have my terminal set to a transparent background, however, the background in terminal is only semi/quasi transparent, meaning my desktop shows through the window, which is great, but when I move the terminal windows over another window, Firefox or Chromium for that matter, the browser doesn't show through terminal but instead my desktop still shows through the terminal.  My ubuntu system at work works as expected, meaning when I drag my terminal over other windows, the windows show through the terminal not my desktop.  Is there a setting in Arch that I'm missing, or do you know if Ubuntu does some other smoke and mirrors trick?

I have an nVidia 9800GT video card and I installed the drivers, X, and Compiz per the wiki's instructions.

any help would be appreciated, would like to get compiz running smoothly without crashes, which is possible since my ubuntu system has never had compiz crash *knock on wood*.

--nixIT

Last edited by nixIT (2010-11-10 20:20:21)

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#2 2010-10-27 16:34:54

MadTux

Re: [SOLVED] desktop effects and compiz

With respect to the compiz crashes, do you notice any error messages in the log files, e.g. /var/log/messages.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

#3 2010-10-27 17:37:49

nixIT

@MadTux,  Thanx, I will look at the log files to see if I notice anything.  I may end up posting the log files for some help.

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#4 2010-10-31 01:04:27

nixIT

Well, I reinstalled Compiz following the wiki and have it launch on start the preferred method, and so far 3 days and compiz hasn't crashed.

--nixIT

#5 2010-10-31 09:30:23

ChoK

nixIT wrote:

Which brings me to my second question, I have my terminal set to a transparent background, however, the background in terminal is only semi/quasi transparent, meaning my desktop shows through the window, which is great, but when I move the terminal windows over another window, Firefox or Chromium for that matter, the browser doesn't show through terminal but instead my desktop still shows through the terminal.  My ubuntu system at work works as expected, meaning when I drag my terminal over other windows, the windows show through the terminal not my desktop.  Is there a setting in Arch that I'm missing, or do you know if Ubuntu does some other smoke and mirrors trick?

It sounds like your terminal is using fake transparency i.e. reproducing the desktop background while true transparency is using ARGB visuals (and needs a compositor WM).

If you want your terminal to be truly transparent and it doesn't provide an ARGB visuals option, you need to set a custom matching rule in compiz.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer