You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-28 11:29:58

KRTac

Files (executables) randomly becoming corrupt

Hi

What could cause files (until now I've only noticed the problem on executables) on a etx4 fs on mdadm RAID 1 with 2 WD Caviar Green 1 TB HDD's to randomly become corrupt?

Usually a executable randomly segfaults or some other strange thing happens. Then I reinstall the package and it's ok again.

It's a strange issue. I've had it happen to find, ruby (2 or 3 times that I've noticed), php, rtorrent and probabily more files that I didn't notice. I have run memtest86 that comes with the latest arch installation image (2010.05) to test the RAM and it did 5 passes over the course of 8 hours with no errors.

Could it be a problem with mdadm?

#2 2010-10-28 13:14:32

Xyem

Re: Files (executables) randomly becoming corrupt

It could be.. it could also be a failing drive.

Try using 'find' to get a sha1sum (or sha512sum if you prefer) of all your executables. When you find a corrupt one, check the sha(1/512)sum of the file (or just run the check of them all regularly).
I would then drop each disk in turn from the array and recheck, to find out if the corruption is happening identically to both disks or not.

Hope this helps

#3 2010-10-28 18:08:55

KRTac

Re: Files (executables) randomly becoming corrupt

It happend again just now. I'm working on a website and php just didn't want to work anymore. The server just returned the standard 500 Internal Server Error message. I reinstalled php and restarted the server. That didn't work. Then I rebooted the system and now it's fine.

Major red flags going up! Xyem, thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to checkout my harddrives in the next few days, but I can't do it right now becouse of work (all of my projects are on them...great).

I'll post a update on what I found out.

Board footer