You are not logged in.

#1 2010-10-31 05:19:21

silentz0r

[SOLVED]World of Warcraft General Issues & Solutions

Hello,

today I finally managed to install a shitload of libraries, which resulted in running World of Warcraft under Arch linux. I am an Arch newbie (been using it for less than a week), so pardon me if i fail at any point.

My hardware is: (An Hp pavilion dv6-2160 SV Laptop)

Nvidia Gefore GT320M 1GB DDR3
Intel i5 x64 Core
6GB of DDR3
320GB HDD

and a bunch of other unrelated hardware smile

After installing a bunch of libraries, i managed to get world of warcraft to execute (I used to get some wine display errors), and eventually got it to connect to the server (it was unable to connect to battle.net, the weird WLDAP32.dll error mentioned in another thread).

My question is rather simple:

Is there something I could do to speed up the launching of World of Warcraft?

It takes about 6-7 minutes to load up, and another 2 or 3 to login (some .MPQ files are loaded after you login). All .MPG files take so much more time to load up, compared to other OS's of mine. Roughly the same hardware in Ubuntu takes about 5-6 seconds to launch (No offence to Arch, it has been much greater so far big_smile )

If I forgot to mention something please ask me.

Thanks in Advance,

Silentz0r

P.S. If i try to execute Launcher.exe, i get many cookie errors in the console, and a "Failed to download information about the next patch. Check your network connection" error, which crashes the Launcher.

P.S.2 I have installed the following libraries: openssl, openldap, lib32-ldap, libldap, libjpeg6, lib32-jpeg6, winetricks, mpg123 and made a link to fonts (sudo ln -s /usr/share/fonts/TTF /usr/share/wine/fonts)

Last edited by silentz0r (2010-11-05 02:35:05)

#2 2010-10-31 20:31:18

nixIT

Re: [SOLVED]World of Warcraft General Issues & Solutions

just got wow running myself, so I will try and relate some of the issues I have with WoW.

Are you running arch 32 or 64 bits?  If you're running arch64, there are additional libraries you need to install, I know I did when I had arch64 running.

Have you checked out the wiki?  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/World_of_Warcraft

It's very thorough, and had me up and running in a short time.  I know the launcher has problems, so I execute mine with

wine wow.exe --opengl

and it fires right up.

I had to install the a couple of the nvidia utils.

I then ran winetricks, installed the gecko libraries.  Check out the wiki, I know it was very helpful and answered all my questions.

To download updates, I currently have to update it from a windows machine and just copy the directory over, not idea, but it works until I can figure out how to get the launcher to work.

ASRock X570 PG VELOCITA AM4 AMD X570  | AMD Ryzen 5900x | 128GB G.SKILL RipjawsV  | ASRock Radeon RX 6700 XT Challenger D

#3 2010-10-31 20:37:36

silentz0r

Hey mate,

thanks for your reply. I did check the AUR, and I have installed loads of libraries (I am running Arch 64). I overcame a lot of errors during this process, but now I am stuck at this one (loading time). When I first copied WoW from a Windows Directory it wouldn't even run, so yeah, I had to install a whole bunch of libraries to get it to execute and eventually connect to the servers.

My World of Warcraft is running fine, I don't need to use -opengl cause d3d runs just fine for me.

The only current issue I have is the loading time. I timed it a few minutes ago and it took 8 minutes to load up, and another 2 minutes of waiting after I log into my account, which kinda sucks real badly.

Also, the Launcher won't work for some reason.

#4 2010-11-02 09:23:59

silentz0r

Bump.. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Really, any suggestions at all.

Thanks again.

#5 2010-11-05 02:34:01

silentz0r

Hello again,

I have found a solution to tis problem. I will explain just in case anyone ever has the same problem with me:

First, I executed wow with debug to return all messages:

WINEDEBUG=warn+all wine wow.exe

to receive the following error several times on the files that were getting stuck (All the .MPQ files, that is):

warn:ntdll:FILE_CreateFile L"(wow dir))someMPQ.writeCacheBackup" not found (c0000034)

where someMPQ stands for any MPQ file (artwork.MPQ, oldworld.MPQ etc.)

I simply did a chmod on the Data\Cache folder, but it turned out that there were logs that needed to be written in Data as well, so the problem was fixed by:

cd /home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/

(or your own wow dir)

sudo chmod -R 771 Data

With chmod -R 771 dir, the permissions of the specific folder (and recursively to any subfolder) change for yours and the users group (I think!) to 7 (read/write/execute). You don't really need execute, so you could change the permissions to:

sudo chmod -R 661 Data

to make all data read and write (but not executable!).

To verify that, simply:

ls -l Data

in your wow directory. You should get the following result:

-rwxrwx--x 1 username username 3265179888 Oct 14 00:52 art.MPQ
drwxrwx--x 3 username username           4096 Oct 28 04:08 Cache

or if you executed 661 instead of 771, you should get -rw-rw---x instead.

I hope this helps at least one more person.

Later,

silentz0r

Last edited by silentz0r (2010-11-05 02:34:25)

Board footer