You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 15:19:41

ninian
Website

Chainsaw ways of saving space on Eee PC and flash drive installations?

My 4GB SSD and 4GB flash drive installations are feeling the strain after recent updates (especially the Python2/3 stuff) and I need to save drive space. Of course, I've removed any unnecessary packages (jre and openoffice-base are the biggest), but now I need to take a chainsaw to further bloat. At present, I've saved the following (approximately) by removing unused files from:

175MB : /usr/share/locale
110MB : /usr/share/doc
48MB : /usr/share/gtk-doc
20MB : /usr/share/foomatic/db/source/PPD
20MB : /usr/lib/openoffice/share/extension/install/dict*

Now I'm looking further ... since I don't compile (well, very rarely) on these installations could /usr/include be savaged too?
Any ideas gratefully received.

#2 2010-11-01 16:26:19

Gusar

Re: Chainsaw ways of saving space on Eee PC and flash drive installations?

Yep, /usr/include. And static libraries (*.a files in /usr/lib). Also /usr/share/man, if you haven't removed that already. On my netbook, this would give an additional 184MB free. I don't have a space problem though, this thing has an 8GB SSD, and /home is on a 16GB SD card.

#3 2010-11-01 17:23:10

ninian
Website

Re: Chainsaw ways of saving space on Eee PC and flash drive installations?

Gusar wrote:

Yep, /usr/include. And static libraries (*.a files in /usr/lib). Also /usr/share/man, if you haven't removed that already. On my netbook, this would give an additional 184MB free. I don't have a space problem though, this thing has an 8GB SSD, and /home is on a 16GB SD card.

Thanks Gusar, those suggestions could give me around a vital 240 MB more free!

Board footer