You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-01 21:26:24

mariusmeyer

[SOLVED] Starting a GNOME/Openbox session from SLiM

Is it possible?

I would like to start a Gnome session with Openbox as the window manager, like you can in GDM by selecting 'GNOME/Openbox' as your Session.
But I don't care much for GDM, so I would like to use SLiM to log in instead. Has anybody tried it? Does everything work as it should? Or does GDM handle this particular
thing that much nicer that I should prefer using it?

Thanks for any help big_smile

Last edited by mariusmeyer (2010-11-02 13:56:34)

#2 2010-11-02 00:36:35

Intrepid

Re: [SOLVED] Starting a GNOME/Openbox session from SLiM

Simple.  Visit the wiki page for SLIM.  Next, you can easily add the command exec /usr/bin/openbox-gnome-session to the xinitrc file similarly to how they describe in the wiki.  They describe how to add multiple sessions there.  If not, simply add /usr/bin/openbox-gnome-session to your xinitrc

Last edited by Intrepid (2010-11-02 04:08:57)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#3 2010-11-02 06:31:09

mariusmeyer

Yeah, I discovered openbox-gnome-session while looking around (nothing about it in our wiki though..) I don't know if what is written right at the beginning here is my problem, but when I have 'exec ck-launch-session openbox-gnome-session' as the only thing in my .xinitrc, and SLiM configured as in the wiki entry, I get a gnome session with metacity, not openbox. I used the tip in the OpenBox Wiki entry regarding adding an entry to the programs Gnome starts: 'openbox --replace', and this works. But now I have some/all of my gnome panel applets crashing at random (volumemixer, clock, etc.) I'm guessing that is connected...?

EDIT: I decided to set 'openbox --replace' in Gnome Startup Programs and make SLiM log in to a normal gnome-session. This method works, and (at least for now) my panel applets are not crashing. I don't recommend openbox-gnome-session, and realize now that it isn't in the Wiki for a reason tongue

Anyways, thanks! big_smile

Last edited by mariusmeyer (2010-11-02 13:56:11)

#4 2010-11-07 04:13:54

Intrepid

Well if there are no reasons why you would want a session starting Metacity, might I suggest the directions from here?  I haven't tried it myself.  But it is probably nicer than the useless overhead of starting metacity from the session THEN replacing it.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#5 2010-11-07 12:55:32

mariusmeyer

Yeah, those instructions were good with the old versions of Gnome, but they don't work anymore. After reading some filed bugs in other distros, Gnome 2.32 needs openbox to create a .desktop-file in /usr/share/applications/ and make entries in gconf. I've got all that down, and it still doesn't work. So for now I'm fine with openbox --replace wink but thanks anyway!! big_smile

Board footer