You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-03 21:00:10

Primoz

Which IPTV "player" is the best to use?

OK I have a bit of a "special" problem. I have IPTV and wish to watch it on my computer.

(BTW I use KDE)
Currently I use VLC to do this. It has some pros and some cons:
Pros:
It can force aspect ration
It works with "out of the box"
Cons:
The current way to get to the play list is not good, as it stops playing video while your in playlist. Also, you should know that I use playlist when "channel surfing".
I don't know how to record. I thought I found it, but it doesn't work, or i don't know how to set it right.

I also tried mplayer/kmplayer:
Pros:
Recording is simple.
The playlist is aside the video, so it's better than VLC.
Cons:
I haven't found how to force aspect ratio
I haven't found how to go to next channel without leaving fullscreen.

And there's mythtv. While I did found an how-to guide on setting it with my IPTV provider, the setting seems daunting. Also I would be using this on my main desktop computer, and skimming through mythtv wikis on ArchWiki gave me an impression that it's better to be set on dedicated media computer. Also the whole setting up the mythtv seems too much for casual TV watching that I do. I could use VirtualBox with Mythbuntu in it, which could probably save me a lot of trouble. So I'll look in to that. (Even though to tell you the truth it's not the same, so I think I'd actually prefer the Arch method of setting it up. because that way at least I'll know what is wrong if something wouldn't want to work.) This could also mean getting LIRC to work, getting or even making an remote controller and etc.

I don't watch TV that often, so I don't know how much hard work should I put into this. And shows that I miss (for which I would need recording) are available on internet legally, just in lower quality.
Sorry for a bit of an "blog" post. I need some advice and also if there are some alternatives to what I already listed above.

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

Board footer