You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-03 23:00:33

gauthma
Website

KDE crash (and pannels disappear) after update

Just now I updated, and KDE was updated to 4.5.3-1. After that update, kwin crashed, and both desktop widgets and panels disappeared. I restarted X and that brought back the widgets, but not the panels... Which is very much annoying, because besides the default panel (the "taskbar"), I have another customized panel*, filled with links to the apps I use the most, and it is very cumbersome to rebuild it ...

The "fun" thing is, it turns out, that the the previous default panel was still present, although not visible, because after adding a new default panel, notifications started showing up twice. So I assume the same must have happened with the customized panel. But I was not able to get either of them back, so I created new ones...

Anyone else went through anything similar? Moreover, does anyone know how to create a "backup" of the contents of the customized panel, so as to minimize the hassle of creating a new one? (assuming such a thing is even possible)

Thanks in advance.

* It's an empty panel, to which I drag the apps links from the K-menu.

#2 2010-11-13 16:15:19

Primoz

Re: KDE crash (and pannels disappear) after update

I don't have this kind of problem. But if I would to try and make a back up of my plasma settings I'd check plasma-desktop-appletsrc in ~/.kde4/share/config

Arch x86_64 ATI AMD APU KDE frameworks 5
---------------------------------
Whatever I do, I always end up with something horribly mis-configured.

#3 2010-11-28 15:03:16

gauthma
Website

Re: KDE crash (and pannels disappear) after update

I thought about something like that. but I just didn't know where (in the .kde folder) to look. I'll give that a try.

Board footer