You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-04 00:12:55

vladimir_1922

pissed with installation, and some ideas

Hi. I just reinstalled Arch (i realiced i did the root partition too small), and tried the netinstall from a USB. I had the bad luck of finding two annoyances that i think can be fixed on next release of the installer.

The first one, is refeared with the net install. I had that inmense list of servers, and picked the closest to me, as kernel.org, the upper tended to lack packages when using pacman. Bad luck, i selected one slower than a race of dead snails. After two hours, i had to close, and select another one, same.. another... only a bit faster... untill i got bored and just installed from usb, did a pacman Syyu when finished. Maybe the possibility of doing a rankmirror before selecting, would help on that.

The second one, is related with the first. The installer DONT save your progress. EVERYTIME you exit the installer, or cancel his work, you have to start from 0, including partitioning the hard disk and downloading all the packages. It is annoying to install everything, mess up, and exit just before the config and... have to partition and install from scrach. There is not a posisbility to do markers so it records where are you on the installation process?.

I dont think there is anything more to change on the installer. It is just using the same tools arch uses on regular workstation. Horewer, even if i was pissed, the results deserve totally the effort!

#2 2010-11-04 00:16:46

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: pissed with installation, and some ideas

The bug tracker is the place to file feature requests...

#3 2010-11-10 23:09:23

edward.taylor89

Re: pissed with installation, and some ideas

Why not turn your flashdrive into Live media instead and then boot from it? smile

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pu … USB_images

Last edited by edward.taylor89 (2010-11-10 23:10:11)

'The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.'

Board footer