You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-04 21:33:22

n0de

new user problems

Hi,

just started to use arch.. I have been doing all configs as root, and now i want to create a simple user. I have made new simple user by using arch wiki (wonderful thing by the way). But the problem is that it is impossible to use it. I can login and do all the things as root, but as i try to login as simple user i just have a refreshed login window (slim). If i boot ant use console only - i can login, it shows me user@myhost, but the xorg doesn't work. If i write startx - i have nothing - completely unusable screen with left-top corner splashing console slash..

the xorg.0.log doesn't exist.. ctrl+alt+F2/F1 doesn't work either.

if I logout from root (like make exit on openbox) i get the same - nothing usable.

now i'm using musca, but the WM ain't the problem.. maybe something with x config's, but dunno what..

#2 2010-11-04 22:13:45

Snowknight
Website

Re: new user problems

What video driver are you using? Did you create an .xinitrc file for your new user? SLiM expects one for every user. Are you sure that there are no Xorg.<number>.log files in /var/log? You should also check other log files (e.g. dmesg.log or messages.log) to see if they show anything useful.

Last edited by Snowknight (2010-11-05 01:19:25)

#3 2010-11-04 22:51:33

DSpider

I experienced something similar on other distributions (Debian, I think). Installed everything with the root account and after I had everything set up nice and I decided to create my user, typed startx and it brought me to that fugly window system:

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code --

Every single package was installed for the root account and I had no idea how to use them on my regular account. Everything was set up with permissions for "root", every folder, every file... That's why I think it's recommended you create (and start using) a regular account as early as possible after you get to the command-line interface.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2010-11-04 23:07:09

karol
Archivist

Board footer