You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-05 17:35:40

jtwdyp

xfce: opera: now non-root can't read menu and bookmark text

don't know what happened. Been using opera for a long time now. But only use xfce occasionally (It's my backup desktop for my preferred E17 (which being under development is potentially unstable) But today I happened to go there. But when I opened opera  I couldn't read anything in the menu or bookmark text (all of which was displayed as empty box place markers for the characters involved... Though while I couldn't read the bookmarks, the keyboard shortcut sequences still work... For instance If I typed "<alt>+<B>s" it still opened my "Scroogle_etc" bookmark folder. And while I couldn't read any of it, typing a "d" pulled up Dictionary.com  where the page content itself was fine. When I accidentally typed opera into a root shell (I forgot I hadn't fixed the focus settings in xfce so that calling xfrun4 with a keyboard shortcut hadn't changed the focus) for root, the menu and default bookmark characters displayed in a normal font.

I tried renaming my ~/.opera folder and starting opera with a clean profile. So of course it wanted me to accept some pop-up license or some such, But I couldn't read the text on that either.

Yet when I restored my original ~/.opera, logged out of xfce, and began a E17 session  opera works as usual... So this is evidently an xfce problem. One I don't see on my Xubuntu installation.

Does anybody know what would cause opera to act like  this under xfce???

--
jtwdyp

Board footer