is there nothing better around???

.--.
       |o_o |
       |:_/ |
      //    
     (|     | )
    /'_   _/`
    ___)=(___/

this was the greeting when i logged in some minutes ago ... this brings me to another thinking: the only thing archlinux cannot support are "bluescreens of death" (those, who changed totally to non-windows-os and forgot: = the nice screens that apear when your (windows)kernel is in panic) ... well, you can simulate simmilar things with fortune

to the subject:
i wanted to install a 3rd OS on my notebook (besides the 2GBwinXP and arch), after removing finally SuSE 8.2 --- now, arch is my prime OS, winXP is kept only because of compatibility --- when someone wants to do something only a windows is able to (e.g. to crash the OS when you dont expect it to crash --- while clicking the most important button on such an OS wink ).
Now the thing is: i wanted to install something totally new (like i did about a year ago with arch while using SuSE) just to try to enhance the possibilities you can have with a A31p-Thinkpad (the 4kg must be worth something) --- i was searching on the internet for long, but i cant find anything better than arch (for my needs = stability, easy upgrade, clean /etc, latest packages, easy way to build packages, package-management with dependences-tracking)

gentoo --- maybe when it becomes mature, great docs!
sourcer --- maybe when it becomes mature, and cleans up
slackware --- not modern enough, but my favourite for years
SuSE --- >7.1pro are not longer "linux", sorry (but great package-repository)
RedHat --- Toys are nice, but this is not an OS, sorry
Mandrake --- very nice installer (i wish i have such a installer on archlinux --- not the GUI, but the possibilities (NTFS- resizing, ...)), but the system is to much "newbie-like" planed
FreeBSD --- the logo is ok, the system not up-to-date
i tried to build a generic, source-driven, linux (do it your self - linux), but the dependences make you crazy after the first weekend :-)

-> i'm going to install a 2nd arch on this drive ... it will become the backup-system

-> if someone can tell me another linux distro i should try i didnt already ... i'm hearing...

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2003-08-24 04:12:51

_JeffG_
Website

Re: is there nothing better around???

What do you mean by this?  I just scrapped a working up-to-date FreeBSD install for Arch Linux.  In my opinion the only thing FreeBSD was missing was good browser plugins and a good jdk. 

Jeff

#3 2003-08-24 16:13:15

dp
Website

_JeffG_ wrote:

What do you mean by this?  I just scrapped a working up-to-date FreeBSD install for Arch Linux.  In my opinion the only thing FreeBSD was missing was good browser plugins and a good jdk. 

Jeff

-> JDK is too old (as you also saw)
-> some hardware are not supported (i cant watch TV over my USB-Hauppauge-card :-( ) ... the linux-kernel is better from this point of view

as i need JDK 1.4 and sometimes i like watching tv, it's not a big desicion, not to use FreeBSD

#4 2003-08-24 16:51:48

contrasutra

You can run the latest Linux JDK through linux "emulation" mode.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#5 2003-08-24 21:57:12

dp
Website

contrasutra wrote:

You can run the latest Linux JDK through linux "emulation" mode.

i'll try that, when i next time access a FreeBSD-machine ... installing FreeBSD takes too much time and space to be done only to try something you already have on the current runnig system

Board footer