You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-16 10:20:25

archdaemon

wm, xterm, and console apps not getting along

I've searched google and this site specifically and didn't see anything helpful for my problem. Man xterm and playing with some options between names, resources, .Xdefaults, .bashrc - same thing.

Problem is when I run moc (Music on Console) from a running xterm, it works fine - blue background, correct size, fully functional. (This is

:mocp --version
moc 2.2.0 Build: Mar 16 2005 03:14:04
Compiled with: MP3 OGG OSS ALSA

because the one in repo is out of date and doesn't have configurable keybindings.) However, when I write it into my icewm menu and launch it from there, it comes out black-and-white and smeared across the screen, like moc thinks it's in a 128x42 window or something. I've tried changing the geometry settings, made sure the checkwinsize shopt is set, even tried 'xterm -e bash -c mocp' instead of 'xterm -e mocp' for the hell of it. It's always exactly the same.

Just had a thought and tried mc. mc comes out b&w but has the right size. Weird.

Anyway - any advice would be much appreciated.

And on a secondary issue - is there *any* music player that meets the following:
1) does not require Knome
2) is not a server (or at least *only* listens locally)
3) has a *single* frigging window

I'm really sick of xmms' goofy winamp interface and want something like rhythmbox or juk but without Knome. I tried glurp with mpd, but glurp's kind of lame and, more importantly, running mpd, even with everything locked down as near as I could tell, made me nervous. That's why I tried moc, though I usually use mp3blaster in console - even in X I just want one damn window, but with all the functionality - with xmms you can turn off a couple of them, but then crap's missing from whatever's left.

Thanks again.

#2 2005-03-16 10:59:54

shadowhand
Website

Re: wm, xterm, and console apps not getting along

Just edit the /etc/mpd.conf file to only accept connections from localhost. No need to worry... it's no less secure than running any other networked program......

I recommend trying ncmpd, it might be more what you are looking for.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#3 2005-03-16 13:39:27

archdaemon

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I did. And set max_connections to 1 and anything else I could think of. smile

What I'm really looking for is a Knome-less rhythmbox/juk. Not any overkill like amarok, but just an xmms with a playlist/library in one window.

This is still an issue, either way. alsamixer and moc get smeared all over the screen. mc just loses color. w3m actually *almost* works - it's truncated a column or two on the right, but doesn't distort the rest of the screen. All these work fine if invoked in a running xterm, but get screwed if run with '-e' from a menu.

Further confusing data: if run from *another* xterm with the '-e' switch into a second xterm, they size properly, but are still colorless. Setting '-tn xterm-color' (and various other things for the same effect) fixes that. So it's exclusively a 'from ice's menu' problem. It's not even the '-e' switch. And it's not a color problem - enforcing the color from the menu (or the script from the menu, depending on how I do it) fixes the color but not the size/smear. So it's exclusively the window size/menu. I even tried the frequently-used '-wf' option to xterm and that had no effect.

And I've got the damn color set in .Xdefaults and .bashrc. What does it take to make it propagate through ice without special flags? (I've used ice in about every distro I've tried and never had this problem - some kind of ice/arch combo problem.)

#4 2005-03-16 14:00:13

archdaemon

Okay, it's not ice, either. I don't ordinarily use rox as anything but a file manager and root window bgsetter, but I put a 'launcher' on the desktop for xterm with the args to be colorized and launch mocp and the same thing happens: color works, but the size is screwed.

-- Just installed rxvt and it works - again, the color has to be forced, but the size works and the color does when specified.

So it seems to be exclusively an xterm problem. Basically, if the xterm already exists, everything's fine. If it doesn't, it isn't.

Board footer