You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-08 22:40:37

BaconPie

Fluxbox Openbox

Why hasn't there been a merge of features?

I want to use Openbox because it's standards compliant (apparently) and that awesome pipe menu but why doesn't it have workspace edge changing? When I drag a window to the edge of my workspace in Fluxbox it changes to the next workspace. It's so smooth and instant and I just can't live without it! I want to love Openbox but just can't because of this one feature! Gah!

Does anyone else have this dilemma,? I want features from both of them but I am forced to choose!

Stupid Linux and it's stupid choices... tongue

#2 2010-11-08 22:57:25

Intrepid

Re: Fluxbox Openbox

Openbox DOES allow workspace edge changing!  Check out the option <screenEdgeWarpTime> (it belongs in the mouse section of your rc.xml) http://openbox.org/wiki/Configuration

Let's be honest here.  Other than the builtin panel, tabbed windows, and certain styles of window decorations, openbox does everything fluxbox does and more.

Last edited by Intrepid (2010-11-08 23:02:37)

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#3 2010-11-08 23:02:19

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Well, I can drag a window to the adjacent workspace in my openbox installation. Probably there is a configuration setting for this.

Edit: Intrepid is too fast for my typing skills. And he was more specific, too. sad

Last edited by bernarcher (2010-11-08 23:04:43)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#4 2010-11-08 23:05:32

Intrepid

bernarcher wrote:

Well, I can drag a window to the adjacent workspace in my openbox installation. Probably there is a configuration setting for this.

Yes.  It is supposed to be default.  Once again, for an example, make sure there's a part in your rc.xml that looks vaguely like this.

<mouse>
        <screenEdgeWarpTime>400</screenEdgeWarpTime>

Where the warp time is in milliseconds.  Enjoy your "standards-compliant" openbox setup.

Last edited by Intrepid (2010-11-08 23:06:11)

#5 2010-11-09 15:25:50

pogeymanz

Intrepid wrote:

Let's be honest here.  Other than the builtin panel, tabbed windows, and certain styles of window decorations, openbox does everything fluxbox does and more.

That was a silly thing to say. "Besides the things it can't do, it can do everything!"

I WISH openbox had window-tabbing. And Fluxbox has a nicer config syntax.

#6 2010-11-09 17:25:05

BaconPie

I've been configuring it all day and from what I can gather: I can't theme openbox the way I like it. Everything has to be a solid color. I like my pixmaps sad

Also, the window dragging to another workspace works horribly. When you drag the window to the edge, it pauses then changes workspace with the window still in the same place. This means that if you want instant dragging, the window causes a change in desktop instantly and then, because it's in the same place, causes another change, which then causes another and another... blergh.

In Fluxbox when you drag over to the left it changes workspace and puts your window on the right, as if you just dragged it on. Instantly.

But in Openbox window management works correctly (maximize actually maximizes instead of resizing to some maximum size) and pipe menus.

Back to my original point... Why can't there be a merge? Why doesn't Openbox support pixmaps or useful workspace switching with windows? Why doesn't Fluxbox maximise correctly or have pipe menus. Where can I merge these two myself?!

#7 2010-11-09 18:27:39

Anonymo
Website

Openflux anyone?

#8 2010-11-09 18:52:19

BaconPie

^ Agreed.

#9 2010-11-09 19:08:57

Intrepid

I understand what you're getting at.  If your only issue was moving between workspaces by dragging, well openbox's method is "suitable."  But you want the general aesthetics of fluxbox incorporated into it.  In which case, I would fully support a merge big_smile .  Honestly, I've been wanting one for a while myself.  Maybe the window decoration/menu graphics code can come from flux, and the menus themselves as well as the majority of window management functions can come from Openbox.

#10 2010-11-09 19:20:39

BaconPie

Intrepid wrote:

I understand what you're getting at.

When you drag windows from one workspace to another in Fluxbox it is exactly the same as if your dragging from one screen to another. For example if it leaves on the left then this appears on the right of the next screen. It's really nice for throwing windows about (I have the 'thumb' button on my mouse set for window dragging).

In Openbox it's not so much dragging windows around but more, a shortcut to changing workspace. Hold a Window on the edge of the workspace and it changes rather than dragging it onto the other one.

The other thing I'm getting at is that this is what my Fluxbox looks like.

I can't get that blue line along the top in Openbox because it doesn't support pixmaps. And I really really REALLY like that line! It turns grey for non-active icons. I mostly* made it and it's my baby. sad

Openbox, on the whole, feels more complete and I really want to use it. It feels modern and polished but it just doesn't have these two things and it's driving me nuts!

*it's actually a heavy modification of a theme called 'Deviant'

Last edited by BaconPie (2010-11-09 19:29:21)

#11 2010-11-09 19:30:59

lucke

Have you tried pekwm?

#12 2010-11-09 20:11:27

BaconPie

lucke wrote:

pekwm

Pipe menus, nice workspace swapping, pixmaps. Seems to fit the bill.

I'll have a fiddle.

Thanks!

Last edited by BaconPie (2010-11-09 20:26:19)

#13 2010-11-09 20:51:48

BaconPie

Uh oh, does PekWM support more than 5 buttons on a mouse? I use buttons 8 and 9 a lot but I can't get them to work.

This

client {
  Motion = "8" { Actions = "Resize" }
}

doesn't work but this

client {
  Motion = "1" { Actions = "Resize" }
}

does...

Help?

#14 2010-11-10 09:15:05

lucke

#15 2010-11-10 12:41:18

BaconPie

He said that he added the patch to the GIT version. I've installed from the official repos, using "pacman -S". If I want to use the git version how do I install/maintain it with pacman?

Or even, how do I use that diff file he posted?

Last edited by BaconPie (2010-11-10 12:42:36)

#16 2010-11-10 14:41:05

Intrepid

Nice choice!  Pekwm for me is also strange regarding standards (much like fluxbox).  But it's gorgeous and full of features.  If the patch is in git, install the following from AUR.

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16913

#17 2010-11-10 16:01:38

BaconPie

That's great but my windows aren't resizing. I think it could be a problem with my syntax though because the button I say to use does not get passed on to xev whenever I click it.

Here is my client part of the mouse config:

Client // Anywhere on the window's interior. It's best to use a keyboard modifier with these.
{
  ButtonPress = "1" { Actions = "Focus; Raise" }
    Motion = "Mod1 1" { Threshold = "4"; Actions = "Focus; Raise; Move" }
    Motion = "Mod4 1" { Threshold = "4"; Actions = "Focus; Raise; Move" }
    Motion = "Mod1 2" { Threshold = "4"; Actions = "GroupingDrag True" }
    Motion = "Mod1 3" { Actions = "Resize" }
    Motion = "8" { Actions = "Resize" }
    // Remove the following line if you want to use click to focus.
    Enter = "Any Any" { Actions = "Focus" }
}

xev after reloading pekwm xev only picks up on mouse 9. Mouse 8, I assume, it not sent to the program because it is caught by the window manager.

How do I get it to resize?

Also, what crazy things does pekwm not do that openbox does? (as far as standards goes)

Last edited by BaconPie (2010-11-10 16:02:06)

#18 2010-11-10 18:57:38

lucke

That patch should be in the stable release.

It doesn't seem to be working here - consider visiting their irc channel or posting to a bugtracker.

Some windows behave kind of strange or different in pekwm than in other WMs, but I don't know whose fault it is. The things that annoy me: opening preferences in maximized chromium creates a non-centered window, opening a new tab in chromium from the CLI focuses the desktop with the browser, dialogs aren't centered in new pcmanfm, pcmanfm's and k3b's copying dialogs like to stay on top unless you set them to stay below - and then you can't raise them.

#19 2010-11-10 20:59:02

BaconPie

Turns out it was in the stable release but because of the error, it didn't pick up on it. I'll try to find the IRC.

I have similar problems with fluxbox and was another one of my motivations for changing. It remembers window size and maximises by just resizing. This means that when I maximise google-chrome, not only does it maximise incorrectly (close/min/max buttons not flush with tabs) but when it opens a child window (such as the settings window, or pop ups) they are also maximised. So annoying.

Other than that and pipe menus that it's perfect.

Pekwm is also great, except, I can't find any docks that do exactly what I want. Pypanel is good, but does not do pixmap theming. Also, maximise by height isn't really max by height, it's just fill all available space vertically, without the option to go back to the original size.

I give in. I am defeated. I can no longer make my computer my bitch.

Maybe Wayland can bring new and exciting things.

How regularly do the developers update fluxbox?

#20 2010-11-10 21:59:41

qchapter

BaconPie wrote:

I give in. I am defeated. I can no longer make my computer my bitch.

With free software, your computer will always be your bitch.  This is how projects evolve and new ones begin.  Want to add pipe menus to fluxbox?  Download the source and look at how openbox does it, and then try adding something similar to fluxbox.  Or start working with the fluxbox dev's to get pipes added.  This is how Open/Free Software works.  It's DIY, dive in.

-Kevin

#21 2010-11-11 09:40:57

BaconPie

qchapter wrote:

It's DIY, dive in.

BaconPie wrote:

Where can I merge these two myself?!

Where do I begin? Just looking at the source?

Anyway, I've almost got pekwm nailed. I'm going to try to get it perfect and if I can't I'll definitely look at the source of fluxbox.

Pekwm does a few things better anyway...

Board footer