You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-09 18:39:21

Don Coyote

[SOLVED] Configuring Network (Intel 82577LM not recognized by udev)

I was attempting to install an Arch system on my X201i notebook a couple months back when I ran into a wall compiling the driver/firmware for the wifi card. I then had to take care of much other life stuff and had no time to address the issue. Now I'm returning to it but have lost track of where I was so am attempting a fresh reinstall.

This time however, I am not recalling how to set up my ethernet connection. The Beginners Guide says:

Beginners Guide wrote:

Available Interfaces will be presented. If an interface and HWaddr (HardWare address) is listed, then your module has already been loaded. If your interface is not listed, you may probe it from the installer, or manually do so from another virtual console.

The following screen will prompt you to Select the interface, Probe, or Cancel. Choose the appropriate interface and continue.

I have no interface except lo. The curses installer does not give an option to probe, but just tells me I need to load the module myself in another VT. Would it make sense to have some instructions on this process here or at least a link to more information?

The same goes for the regular guide:

Install Guide wrote:

A list of all currently available network devices is presented to you. If no ethernet device is available yet, or the one you wish to use is missing, either hit OK and go on to probe for it, or switch to another console and load the module manually. If you still can't configure your network card, make sure it's physically been properly installed, and that it is supported by the Linux kernel.

I have an Intel Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000) PCI-Express (ethernet chip Intel 82577LM) for the adapter. This uses the included e1000e driver and I've read of other x201 with the same chip being mounted automatically in Arch, so I'm wondering why my udev is being uncooperative?

Last edited by Don Coyote (2010-11-19 19:21:02)

#2 2010-11-09 22:47:51

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Configuring Network (Intel 82577LM not recognized by udev)

Modprobe the driver for now, so you can complete your installation. When your system is installed and completely up to date, check if the issue still exists.

#3 2010-11-10 05:13:01

Don Coyote

I've done

modprobe e1000e

and lsmod shows e1000e loaded with a 0 use count. ifconfig still shows nothing but an lo interface and the setup program still says I have no ethernet interfaces. Do I need an additional command to bring up the interface?

#4 2010-11-11 17:05:53

Don Coyote

I'm not sure if rc.conf had anything to do with this, but reloading e1000e was required to make it work. rc.conf didn't have a MODULES section at all, so I added one with e1000e listed. This didn't change anything. Then I reloaded the driver (modprobe -r e1000e; modprobe e1000e) and eth0 finally came up. I'll see how it acts after install.

#5 2010-11-15 06:06:36

Don Coyote

Trying to continue on with installation, when trying to set up network (interface selection) I'm getting a failure to run dhcpcd. I tried it a few times and then rebooted and it worked once. after moving on to partition the hard drive, manually setting the mount points and labels fails to work when the script runs to write the changes to each of the partitions (each one gives an error). I had to auto-prepare the drive to get the mounting scheme to write without giving errors. Then as I moved to install packages the script failed to connect to the mirror. Now dhcpcd doesn't come up even after a reboot. It looks like the router is offereing an address, but the daemon times out without acknowledging it.

I didn't have most of these problems the first time I set up the base system. What could cause so many aspects of the install system to fail now? Would shutting down the notebook in the middle of the install program do something to lead to these problems? If so what would I need to change to recover, redo the usb flash drive?

#6 2010-11-19 19:20:20

Don Coyote

After waiting a day to try again, dhcpcd worked on boot up. I went through the rest of the install process and skipped all of the steps that have previously given me errors. It now boots into runlevel 3 for me without network problems. I feel like I'm sweeping a bunch of stuff under the rug, but will mark this closed as the network now seems to work.

Board footer