You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-11 00:07:04

korpenkraxar

Does anyone have Gnome Shell up and running? If so, how did you do it?

Hi all!

I've tried installing Gnome Shell via gnome-shell and gnome-shell-git in AUR and the guide over here: http://zazaq.com/2010/04/27/gnome-scree … 0-on-arch/ to no avail. The latter method actually compiles after a few minor tweaks, but after running:

gnome-shell/install/bin/gnome-shell --replace

I am stuck with errors like this:

JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = 'Error("Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found")@:0
("Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found")@gjs_throw:0
@/home/korpenkraxar/gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:3
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found'
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = 'Error("Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found")@:0
("Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found")@gjs_throw:0
@/home/korpenkraxar/gnome-shell/install/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:3
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Requiring GLib, version none: Typelib file for namespace 'GLib' (any version) not found

Followed by:

Cannot register the panel shell: there is already one running.

Looking around on the interwebs, the latter error suggests removing xulrunner, which I have done. This actually allows me to start gnome-shell, but the only thing that happens is that mutter kicks in and the window decoration changes slightly but I do not get the actual shell. Having removed xulrunner, I get this error:

(mutter:1063): mutter-WARNING **: Could not load library [/home/korpenkraxar/gnome-shell/install/lib64/mutter/plugins/libgnome-shell.so (libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)]

And now I am stuck. Any ideas or pointers anyone?

Last edited by korpenkraxar (2010-11-11 08:57:47)

#2 2010-11-12 17:30:35

Zeqadious
Website

Re: Does anyone have Gnome Shell up and running? If so, how did you do it?

It looks like your missing the gobject-introspection glib2 typelib file.  Not sure if glib2 has builtin rules during compilation to generate that file or if its somewhere in gir-repository.  Most likely its the first option.  You will likely need to build glib2 with gobject-introspection enabled to generate that file.

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day"

#3 2010-12-02 16:56:55

darkbeanies

Re: Does anyone have Gnome Shell up and running? If so, how did you do it?

I got it running a while back.  (Like, a couple of months ago.  It's now gone, for multiple reasons).  If memory serves me correctly, I just enabled the gnome-unstable repository and downloaded and it worked (it didn't compile properly from AUR for me).  Well, I say "worked".  It was very slow.

Maybe add

[gnome-unstable]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

to pacman.conf if you want to give it a go.

On the subject of gnome shell, has anyone got it to run smoothly?  I have a 1Gb nvidia card, 4Gb ram and dual core 3Ghz cpu and it was totally unusable when I tried it.

Board footer