You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-12 10:19:44

stefano.facchini

X freezes on exit

Hi,
I have just installed Arch linux with Xorg 1.9 and ati driver xf86-video-ati 6.13. I can start X with

$ startx

which gives X working with keyboard mouse and three xterms. I can switch to virtual consoles with Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] and then back to X without problems, but when I try to exit X freezes completely with a blank screen and frozen keyboard. The only way out is hard reboot. I tried without xorg.conf and with the xorg.conf generated by X -configure, with the same result. I also tried to add "dbus" to the daemon list as suggested in the archwiki page for X, but seems useless. The same opensource driver works well under Debian and Ubuntu.

Is there any diagnostic I can do?

#2 2010-11-12 13:25:25

ChoK

Re: X freezes on exit

Not a fix, but you can enable the magic sysrq by adding kernel.sysrq=1 in /etc/sysctl.conf.

When keyboard doesn't respond. try alt+printScreen/Sysrq+R it should release the keyboard.
Other useful sysrq are alt+sysrq+k to kill X
alt+sysrq+S U B to sync file system, remount them read-only then reboot.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2010-11-13 19:44:03

mhertz

I have the exact same issue i.e. shutdown/rebooting freezes if X is running. Also if having enabled the use of CTRL+ALT-backspace, then that freezes too. I'm having a hd5450 btw.

To workaround, then go to VT1, press CTRL+C and then shutdown or reboot.

#4 2010-11-14 02:41:55

stefano.facchini

mhertz wrote:

I have the exact same issue i.e. shutdown/rebooting freezes if X is running. Also if having enabled the use of CTRL+ALT-backspace, then that freezes too. I'm having a hd5450 btw.

To workaround, then go to VT1, press CTRL+C and then shutdown or reboot.

I'm not sure it's the same issue. When I try to "gently" quit X (i.e. without killing it from a VT), my laptop freezes. It seems that you have problems with reboot, instead.

I noticed that my problem happens only with the xf86-video-ati driver with KMS enabled. With different settings (vesa driver or no KMS) quitting X has the effect of blanking the screen, but still I can give commands blindly in VTs. For example, I can restart X, and suddenly the screen turns alive again. Is something buggy with the ati driver or the kernel 2.6.35?

#5 2010-11-14 14:59:48

mhertz

I think it's the same issue, and for me it came with an ati driver update.

My issue which sounds similar to yours, is that when trying to gently quiet the wm so as to get out of X, then the screen freezes. For me, then it also happens when trying to reboot or shutdown from a terminal in the wm. The same goes for if trying to press ctrl+alt+backspace or running pkill X.

I think that there are some issues with the foss ati driver with some cards, and that it's different which problems you have from card model to model...

I'm having KMS enabled also, I need that, since if disabling it, then I cannot switch to any VTs from X. KMS is supposed to make switching VTs faster, besides giving native resolution in the console, but for me its totally impossible to switch VTs without KMS...

If this is entirely unrelated to your issue, then I apologise in advance!

Last edited by mhertz (2010-11-14 15:19:22)

#6 2010-11-16 12:57:04

stefano.facchini

No it's not unrelated! After reading your post I just tried to reboot from X, and had the same problem! If you are interested this issue disappeared as I installed xf86-video-ati 6.13.99 and the last version of Mesa from Xorg site (see http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo). Now I can shutdown and quit X without problems.

After the upgrade I can also suspend my laptop (formerly I got a strange ATOMBIOS error).

Bye!

#7 2010-11-22 17:22:17

starofale

stefano.facchini wrote:

No it's not unrelated! After reading your post I just tried to reboot from X, and had the same problem! If you are interested this issue disappeared as I installed xf86-video-ati 6.13.99 and the last version of Mesa from Xorg site (see http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonBuildHowTo). Now I can shutdown and quit X without problems.

After the upgrade I can also suspend my laptop (formerly I got a strange ATOMBIOS error).

Bye!

Glad to see you've got it working, but unfortunately I'm still having this problem when exiting X.

I'm currently using xf86-video-ati 6.13.2-1 from the Arch Linux Extra repository. Is 6.13.99 a more recent version? (I don't know how to version numbering works). If it is more recent, does anyone know how long it will take to make it to Extra?

Board footer