You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-12 23:40:27

quaa

[solved?] ATI 5750 + Dual Monitors + Rotation Help =(

Alright, I am installing Arch for the first time.  I am a convert from Ubuntu.

I currently have some problems that I have no idea how to fix.

First off, when I installed Arch I started off with the catalyst driver.  I then tried to configure the system with amdcccle , this in turn broke X.  I booted with a black screen, nothing else. 
I then fixed the broken config by removing xorg.conf, and deleting the config in /etc/amd/...

I tried to get something working with xorg conf and I couldn't figure out how to do it and the dpi or font seemed to be kinda funny so I decided to try the free drivers.

I removed catalyst and catalyst-utils and installed the free radeon driver.  Took out catalyst from rc.conf modules and added in radeon.  I also removed vga=nomodeset from my menu.list in grub.  I then rebooted.  Which leads me to my questions.

1)Right now I have the main display connected with HDMI, its getting 1280x720 (the right resolution) but it is overscaling ( the border of the display is cutting off some of the image).  The catalyst drivers with the default config did not do this.  I think this could be a KMS problem, because it does it when i boot to runtime level 3 (terminal only).

2)The second monitor works fine, connected with DVI, getting 1440x900, but the monitor is physically rotated and when i try to run
xrandr --output DVI-1 --rotate right
it does not rotate it the monitor and X crashes, resulting in an unrotated monitor and GDM restarting

(if you cannot tell I am trying to go for dual monitor (not cloned))

3)and for a completely unrelated problem.  cpufreq conservative does not seem to do much.  When looking at scaling percentages in powertop my i5 is running in turbo mode 75% of the time and the lowest freq 25% of the time.  Also it is not starting at boot, even though I have come daemons in the rc.conf to do this.  Any ideas?

sad

so those are my three problems

I have been researching and cant figure out the display issue.  I am thinking about just going back to ubuntu because it just worked, but I want to get Arch Working and I don't want to give up.  I like "The Arch Way" even though I don't know everything there is to know about linux.

Anyways.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks guys!

Last edited by quaa (2010-11-15 18:37:13)

#2 2010-11-13 03:11:03

quaa

Re: [solved?] ATI 5750 + Dual Monitors + Rotation Help =(

Ok, well I got number 3 fixed.  Wasn't starting the cpufreq daemon.

But I still cannot figure out any of the xorg stuff.

Heres my settings so far.  All this gives me when i restart gdm is my login background on both screens with no login box.

[quaa@comp ~]$ sudo cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-monitor.conf 
Section "Module"
  Load  "glx"
  Load  "dri"
  Load  "drm"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Device0"                     # your alias
 Driver "radeon"
 Screen 0
# Options "output" "HDMI-0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Identifier "Device1"
 Driver "radeon"
 Screen 1
# Options "output" "DVI-1"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor0"
        Option          "Enable" "true"
        Option          "DPMS"
#        ModeLine        "1280x720" 74.250 1280 1390 1430 1650 720 725 730 750 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Monitor1"
        Option          "Enable" "true"
        Option          "DPMS"
#        ModeLine        "1440x900" 109.473 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier          "Screen0"
  Device              "Device0"
  Monitor             "Monitor0"
  DefaultDepth       24
 SubSection "Display"
  Depth 1
  Modes "1280x720"
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
 Identifier        "Screen1"
 Device            "Device1"
 Monitor           "Monitor1"
 DefaultDepth      24
 SubSection "Display"
  Depth 1
  Modes "1440x900"
 EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
 Identifier "Default"
 Screen 0 "Screen0"
 Screen 1 "Screen1" LeftOf "Screen0"
 Option "Xinerama" "true"
EndSection

#3 2010-11-15 18:38:16

quaa

Re: [solved?] ATI 5750 + Dual Monitors + Rotation Help =(

figured out that there is a bug with rotating a monitor using the free drivers.  reverted to catalyst and it just worked....

Board footer