You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-13 13:20:58

hbekel

Bashrun2 released

I have just released Bashrun2, the second generation version of my bash-based application launcher. There is an AUR package, too.

Bashrun2 provides a simple run dialog by running a modified bash session in a small, single-line terminal window.

Features:

* An application launcher that works like bash, simply because it is bash. Completion, history, aliases are thus supported out of the box already.
* Launch graphical and terminal applications from any terminal, either by using a full-fledged bashrun session in a regular terminal or by sourcing a lightweight remote interface.
* Launch terminal/console apps in dedicated terminals, e.g. use a different terminal program for certain apps or use different font and geometry settings.
* Rewrite non-executable command lines using regular expressions and substitution, along with a simple interface to programmable completion, e.g add web shortcuts, file associations, special rules for certain commands, etc.
* Add your own actions, i.e. change and extend the core functionality of bashrun.
* Write plugins implementing new actions, handlers, rules etc. and share them with other users... (pacman/abs/aur plugin anyone?)
* Use bashrun as a lightweight replacement for graphical su frontends like gksu or kdesu. (see bashrun --help)
* Better suited for use in tiling wms (Tip: use urxvt, with -override-redirect to make bashrun float)
* Generalized terminal support -- you tell bashrun how to use the terminal of choice
* Now comes with it's own little helper application for window management -- no xdotool required anymore
* Uses GNU autotools for installation
* Autodetection of console applications
* much more...

If you just want a simple bash based launcher, the legacy version of bashrun (available in community) may be the better choice. Bashrun2 has a lot more features and is generally more robust, although not quite as KISS as the old versions. In any case, bashrun2 can cleanly be installed side-by-side with the legacy version.

Have fun,
Henning

#2 2010-11-13 19:57:26

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Bashrun2 released

Hmm am I dreaming or did you already post a topic like this not too long ago?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2010-11-13 22:51:23

hbekel

@DieterBe: You're not dreaming, last time I asked for comments, and in the course of that I decided to release this as bashrun2.

#4 2010-11-14 18:49:48

mangust

hbekel thank you for this great app!! It rocks!

One small tipp for Openbox users: to disable window decoration for bashrun2 declare the name of the application so (in ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml):

<application name="bashrun2-run-dialog">

"I hate computers, why didn't I become a street musician?" - phrakture

#5 2011-04-27 13:13:04

Foucault

Nice program, I really like it. I just want to ask this. When started bashrun seems to cd in the root directory (/). Is there a way to change that to the home directory?

#6 2011-04-27 13:51:39

hbekel

How do you start it? bashrun2 inherits the working directory from its parent process. Gnome keybindings for instance start programs in /. You can just add a cd $HOME to the end of your .bashrc or bashrun config file to work around this.

#7 2011-04-27 14:02:59

Foucault

Yeah indeed, appending "cd $HOME" to ~/.config/bashrun2/bashrun2.rc did the job. Thanks!

#8 2011-06-04 14:31:36

kastagir

I have a little problem with bashrun2. When I want to run emacs it launches the application using terminal (I'm not hitting Alt-Enter). So instead of 1 window with emacs I have 1 unusable urxvt window and 1 emacs. I figured out that it checks if program is linked with console libraries like ncurses (and emacs is linked with both ncurses and X11). Is there any possibility to tell bashrun2 that emacs is not terminal application?

#9 2011-06-04 15:44:35

hbekel

kastagir wrote:

Is there any possibility to tell bashrun2 that emacs is not terminal application?

Yes, add emacs to the "run" rule, e.g. in your bashrun2.rc, in configure-rules(), add

+rule run --match 'emacs'

This way emacs will always be launched without terminal.

I guess I should blacklist some common false positives by default, and probably make the whole autodetection feature optional.

Board footer