You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-17 03:55:51

twpvw5

When to execute a command that depends on X

well I just reinstalled ARCH and decided to try out xfce and cant seem to get my mouse button mapping to be executed at the right time. it needs to be after X has started, I have tried putting it in ~/.xinitrc and /etc/profiles.d/xorg.sh where else could this command go?

-The more engineering courses I take, the more I lose my heart for engineering. I just want to F*@%ing build stuff!

#2 2005-03-17 06:15:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: When to execute a command that depends on X

I am assuming you are using xmodmap?
/etc/profiles.d is for bash settings when you login

where it goes depends on quite alot:
how are you starting X?
startx -> put the command in ~/.xinitrc
xdm -> put the command in ~/.xsession
gdm -> same as xdm??
kdm -> not sure, never used it
startxfce -> not really sure either, but I think there'sa startup file

there are also usually "startup" files for window managers... for instance, fluxbox has ~/.fluxbox/startup

#3 2005-03-17 16:07:53

twpvw5

You nailed that on the head I am using xmod map I really like my buttons to work... ya' know

I'm using startxfce4 in my ~/.bashrc but I'm thinking I need to change that b'c everytime I open a new shell it tried to start xfce so I need to move that too, any suggestions?

Thanks.

-The more engineering courses I take, the more I lose my heart for engineering. I just want to F*@%ing build stuff!

#4 2005-03-17 16:12:25

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

twpvw5 wrote:

I'm using startxfce4 in my ~/.bashrc but I'm thinking I need to change that b'c everytime I open a new shell it tried to start xfce so I need to move that too, any suggestions?

hmmm, I just manually run "startx" when I want to hop into X... you could try using something like xdm or gdm (add gdm to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf)

for using startxfce, add the xmodmap command to "$HOME/.xfce/xinitrc"

Board footer