You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-15 14:36:39

claupper
Website

Installation Version X86_64 With Errors? (Solved)

Good afternoon everyone ...
I'm having the following problem:
I was installing Arch on the 64bit version, but could not exit the partitioning due to an error in tty7.
I think that has to do with the partition of the hd because it reports the message to verify the error in / dev/tty7, and from what I saw, must be made 3 partitions.

1 with 100mb for boot
2 with 256 for swap
3 with what is left of the disk for file system / is it?
This is my second HD has 20GB free, but I can not pass that stage.
I wonder if this error has to do with hd or error is the installation CD, as previously was using Arch X86 in the same hd as usual, and as he was short of space in it, I decided to try and format the latest version of 64 bits.

Last edited by claupper (2010-11-20 23:51:31)

#2 2010-11-15 22:21:06

scar

Re: Installation Version X86_64 With Errors? (Solved)

and what do you have on tty7 at this point of the installation process?

“The future has already arrived. It's just not evenly distributed yet.”
― William Gibson

#3 2010-11-15 22:43:17

lilsirecho
Veteran

Most partitioning has four elements ...those you have mentioned plus.... home partition.

That may be your difficulty.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-11-17 12:57:49

claupper
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Most partitioning has four elements ...those you have mentioned plus.... home partition.

That may be your difficulty.

I understood, but managed to make the partitions and install the arch in the automatic mode, but I can not do in manual mode, because I would like to make just two partitions to install the system know? My HD is only 20GB.

#5 2010-11-17 14:45:45

ChoK

Like scar asks, can you tell us what the error exactly is, particularly in the tty7.

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2010-11-19 14:00:41

claupper
Website

ChoK wrote:

Like scar asks, can you tell us what the error exactly is, particularly in the tty7.

I can not install without having to make the 4 partitions in the automatic mode mean?
I wonder if you can do the partitioning with cfdisk and then manually enter the setup of the arch and continue the installation of arch normally?

Last edited by claupper (2010-11-20 15:39:34)

#7 2010-11-20 21:42:12

mhertz

You only need one partition to get arch to continue and that's '/'! If not having a swap and/or boot partition, then arch complains, but you can easilly just select ignore to continue.

Just select to manually partition and define blockpoints e.g. 4- 5 gb for '/', 1gb for swap and rest for /home.

If you're doing it correcly and still get errors(not warnings!), then please post exactly what the report is about.

If you select automatic, then I believe that you need all those partitions and can only define there sizes(i've never used automatic, though), as it's a selection ment for noobs who don't know which partitions is needed, so if you want another and more specific setup, then don't choose automatic, but manual!

Yes, you can also first partition with cfdisk/fdisk and then afterwards run the arch installer and just select to manually define blockpoints(but not partitioning!)

Last edited by mhertz (2010-11-20 21:45:52)

#8 2010-11-20 23:51:04

claupper
Website

mhertz wrote:

You only need one partition to get arch to continue and that's '/'! If not having a swap and/or boot partition, then arch complains, but you can easilly just select ignore to continue.

Just select to manually partition and define blockpoints e.g. 4- 5 gb for '/', 1gb for swap and rest for /home.

If you're doing it correcly and still get errors(not warnings!), then please post exactly what the report is about.

If you select automatic, then I believe that you need all those partitions and can only define there sizes(i've never used automatic, though), as it's a selection ment for noobs who don't know which partitions is needed, so if you want another and more specific setup, then don't choose automatic, but manual!

Yes, you can also first partition with cfdisk/fdisk and then afterwards run the arch installer and just select to manually define blockpoints(but not partitioning!)

Understood and managed to install everything the way I wanted.
thanks for the help
Hugs
Claupper

Board footer