You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-15 18:33:34

TrevorNT

ALSA and HDMI

Okay, so I've been trying to get my sound to output over HDMI using ALSA on my ThinkPad T410.  I haven't exactly been able to get it working the way I want to though.

"aplay -l" gives me my Intel HD Audio on card 0 as well as four separate nVIDIA HD Audio outputs on card 1.  The four outputs are devices 3, 7, 8, and 9.

After a little speaker-test work, I found that card 1, device 7 is the HDMI output.  However, I can't get audio to play on the TV except through speaker-test.

Does anyone have any idea as to how I can get the audio to output over HDMI for regular applications?

Thanks in advance,
-TrevorNT

EDIT: my fault, the device was actually card 1, device 7, now reflected above.

Last edited by TrevorNT (2010-11-15 19:01:05)

#2 2010-11-15 18:38:13

brisbin33
Website

Re: ALSA and HDMI

check out the asound.conf at the bottom of my htpc page. that gets hdmi audio working for me with card 1 device 7.

#3 2010-11-15 18:45:15

xvello
Website

Hello

A lot of applications allow you to configure the alsa output device. For example, you can try to run :
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.8  a_video_file
and see how it goes (or dig in your favorite player's advanced audio configuration for such option).

If you want to use this output for every application, you can set it as default in your ~/.asoundrc file, with something like this :

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 8
}

Cheers

#4 2010-11-15 23:00:14

TrevorNT

brisbin33 wrote:

check out the asound.conf at the bottom of my htpc page. that gets hdmi audio working for me with card 1 device 7.

xvello wrote:

Hello

A lot of applications allow you to configure the alsa output device. For example, you can try to run :
mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.8  a_video_file
and see how it goes (or dig in your favorite player's advanced audio configuration for such option).

If you want to use this output for every application, you can set it as default in your ~/.asoundrc file, with something like this :

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
    device 8
}

Cheers

Thanks for the help...the HDMI audio works.

I'm going to guess that when I want to use HDMI I need to have that .asoundrc file there, and when I just want to use the speakers, I need to change the name of that file so that it's not used as the default?

-TrevorNT

Board footer