You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-15 18:58:56

colbert

Trying to get HP Officejet Pro L7780 printer working

I plug the printer directly via USB and dmesg shows it detected just fine, then I run hp-setup and it is detected, I select the driver and on step 3 of 3 when I am clicking Add Printer, output keeps showing this every time I click:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui4/setupdialog.py", line 1240, in NextButton_clicked
    self.addPrinter()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui4/setupdialog.py", line 944, in addPrinter
    self.setupPrinter()
  File "/usr/share/hplip/ui4/setupdialog.py", line 982, in setupPrinter
    FailureUI(self, self.__tr("<b>Printer queue setup failed.</b><p>Please add user to %s group(s)" %utils.list_to_string(utils.addgroup())))
  File "/usr/share/hplip/base/utils.py", line 89, in list_to_string
    return "\""+"\", \"".join(lis)+"\" and \""+str(lis.pop())+"\""
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'pop'

The GUI app shows nothing in response, I just click cancel as it won't proceed.

#2 2010-11-16 18:01:43

Kasumi_Ninja

Re: Trying to get HP Officejet Pro L7780 printer working

This printer is fully supported with hplip. What happens when you add the printer in the cups web interface? http://localhost:31? Are you in the lp group?

Last edited by Kasumi_Ninja (2010-11-16 18:02:01)

#3 2010-11-16 18:44:54

colbert

Oops! Okay I added myself to lp group, then had to add to sys group, did that and re-ran hp-setup, added printer and printed test page successfully (this is via USB connection of course). I was trying to get it to work wirelessly but it didn't show up in hp-wificonfig, but it normally is plugged into an XP machine which I was trying to connect to via SAMBA to use it as shared. Well I added again to CUPS and it works!

Question, though: How can I see some kind of status or something in GUI that would show progress for printing, or any error that occurred, etc.? This I mean for printing over SAMBA with CUPS. I opened the hp-systray app and it only will show the printer that I added via USB, I can't get it to show the one I added via CUPS over SAMBA. Thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated!! big_smile

#4 2010-11-18 06:11:18

colbert

Okay, didn't want to start a new topic but I am using a Lexmark X1270 at home connected via USB to box and printed successful test page from CUPS web interface, however in Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. there is no available printer to choose from sad

Board footer