You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-15 19:54:50

Sara
Website

[SOLVED] MathML in Webkit (specifically, surf browser)

I've read online that Webkit builds have MathML enabled by default, but I don't see it on my system. The only things that do render (checking with this test site) are some standard math symbols, but no complex formatting (for instance, the matrix on the test page literally renders in one line garbage). I do have the STIX beta fonts installed (otf-stix in the AUR), and Firefox renders MathML as promised, but I rather use surf with webkit. I tried Midori, and it was no different, so I think this is a problem with webkit (or something I'm not doing right still).

Thanks for the help! Wasted several hours trying to google this on my own, so I decided to seek help from the community smile.

I also built libwebkit-nightly-71897, and it wasn't any better than libwebkit in the repos (1.2.5-1).

[edit] The key is to build the nightly version with the compile flag "--enable-mathml". I tried using this compile flag with the version currently in the repos (1.2.6-1), and the build fails, but the nightly build compiles perfectly (though takes awhile). With this, you get the beautiful MathML that Webkit indeed does support. [/edit]

Last edited by Sara (2011-01-19 20:26:10)

Registed Linux User 483618

#2 2010-11-15 20:26:57

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] MathML in Webkit (specifically, surf browser)

I haven't tested it but here [1] it says that something extra is needed:

Users of Mozilla 1.9 (including Firefox 3) should download a Zip archive of STIX fonts 1.0 + additional fonts from STIX Beta. Even if STIX fonts 1.0 are already installed on your system, you need the  STIXSiz*.odf fonts provided in this archive. In future versions of Mozilla (including Minefield), one can simply use the Zip archive of STIX fonts 1.0.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozill … ject/Fonts

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2010-11-15 20:28:44

flamelab

It seems ok though with Firefox 4(beta8)

#4 2010-11-15 20:33:34

Sara
Website

R00KIE wrote:

I haven't tested it but here [1] it says that something extra is needed:

Users of Mozilla 1.9 (including Firefox 3) should download a Zip archive of STIX fonts 1.0 + additional fonts from STIX Beta. Even if STIX fonts 1.0 are already installed on your system, you need the  STIXSiz*.odf fonts provided in this archive. In future versions of Mozilla (including Minefield), one can simply use the Zip archive of STIX fonts 1.0.

In my /usr/share/fonts/TTF directory, ls | grep "stix" shows:

stixgeneralbolita.otf
stixgeneralbol.otf
stixgeneralitalic.otf
stixgeneral.otf
stixintdbol.otf
stixintdreg.otf
stixintsmbol.otf
stixintsmreg.otf
stixintupbol.otf
stixintupdbol.otf
stixintupdreg.otf
stixintupreg.otf
stixintupsmbol.otf
stixintupsmreg.otf
stixnonunibolita.otf
stixnonunibol.otf
stixnonuniita.otf
stixnonuni.otf
stixsizfivesymreg.otf
stixsizfoursymbol.otf
stixsizfoursymreg.otf
stixsizonesymbol.otf
stixsizonesymreg.otf
stixsizthreesymbol.otf
stixsizthreesymreg.otf
stixsiztwosymbol.otf
stixsiztwosymreg.otf
stixvarbol.otf
stixvar.otf

So I have the STIXSiz fonts. I did download that archive from Mozilla while searching for a solution and did a mental comparison (they looked just about the same), but I'll try again. Thanks for the suggestion.

@flamelab: Yes, in Firefox it works without a hitch. But remember, Firefox is using its own web engine--not Webkit (which is what my post is about, MathML with Webkit, which, by the article I cited, is supposed to work).

Last edited by Sara (2010-11-15 20:36:21)

Registed Linux User 483618

Board footer