You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-19 04:42:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

rxvt-unicode - calling new tabs instead of new terminals?

I've been using urxvtd and urxvtc recently, and considering how flexible urxvt is turning out to be I thought I'd ask if anyone knew a way to achieve this:-

1. Firefox has the FlashGot extension which redirects downloads to an external download manager. I use aria2, called with urxvtc. The thing is, with 20 downloads I suddenly have 20 urxvt windows open up.
2. I use urxvtc with the tabbed perl extension (shit-down to open new one) to save the number of terminals I open up.

So my question is, is there a way to call urxvtc (or urxvt itself) such that a new tab is opened rather than a new terminal? With the -e flag, this would mean that my FlashGot aria2 sessions would open in many tabs rather than terminals.

I see there's an -embed flag for urxvt but online documentation seems to be scarce, especially since I don't speak Perl.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-11-19 08:38:24

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: rxvt-unicode - calling new tabs instead of new terminals?

Not sure if this the answer, but have you considered using something like tmux, and then redirecting/grouping the aria2 windows together under a dedicated window?

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2010-11-19 10:05:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

Not sure if this the answer, but have you considered using something like tmux, and then redirecting/grouping the aria2 windows together under a dedicated window?

As I'm aware, tmux is something like screen (updated)? Well yes, I've considered that, but being a late-comer GUI user I've never really been comfortable with screen in the first place smile. I'll wait for comments on what I've asked about, but will consider tmux/screen as an alternative if that fails. Thanks litemotiv.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-11-19 10:15:59

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

I use urxvtc/d in combination with tmux as an alternative for perltabs, it works really nicely. One of the great things is that terminals are persistent, so if you quit X or switch to a TTY, you still have your terminals available. I'm not a huge fan of screen either, but tmux just makes everything a little easier. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#5 2010-11-19 19:00:33

karol
Archivist

@ ngoonee
But you need to tell FlashGot where to put those tabs or it may open them right next to my vim and not in the "special" urxvtc for downloads.
I prefer one-window-per-download as I just put them all in one tag (I use dwm).

Board footer