You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-19 15:16:04

killerturtle

Questions / experiences from users for an EEE 901 running arch?

Hoi all,

I scored a nice little EEE 901 (with 16gb SSD and 1GB RAM).
After my first experience with Arch on an old Dell C640 I want more smile

So the plan is to install Arch on the EEE 901.

My questions:

1. What DE/WDM to choose? I'm used to GNOME because i'm used to Ubuntu. Actually Ubuntu 10.10 is on the EEE now, though a bit slow. Thinking of LXDE with Openbox or Gnome DE. Would the latter one be too heavy?
2. SSD worries? Do I need to do anything special to preserve the life of the SSD? I quit like it, because the whole pc virtually silent smile
3. What filesystem and why?
4. How is batterylife with Arch? Anyone with a EEE 901, please post your experiences.
5. The Ralink wireless adapter. If I understand correctly, with the latest kernel there shouldn't be any troubles.

Thank you for your tips and sharing experiences.

Greetz
Sven

#2 2010-11-19 17:36:35

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Questions / experiences from users for an EEE 901 running arch?

I just followed the wiki article https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_Eee_PC_901

There are some who happily run Gnome or KDE - I started with Xfce, moved to Openbox and now, for the last year or so, use dwm.

I bought an extra 6-cell (I also have an extra GB of RAM).

Wireless works, just blacklist rt2800pci in /etc/rc.conf

Overall, the 901 works brilliantly running Arch...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-11-19 17:45:37

skanky

I have no issues with it (jason's post above addressed any I had). I run dwm but will probably switch back to scrotwm at some point - when I get the time.
There are some threads on this - they may be a bit out of date in some aspects (esp. earlier on), but they cover most issues - it's mainly the kernel & firmware updates that have changed any situation.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#4 2010-11-19 18:36:56

killerturtle

Okay thx for the replies.
I'll have a look at DWM, that one is new for me!

Greetz
Sven

#5 2010-11-19 20:15:17

skanky

dwm's a tiling wm. It's not necessary to use one if you'd rather not. OpenBox worked well on it (set-up for the kids to use), and I'm pretty sure most DEs will work well enough. One nice thing about a wm though, is that it can be mouse free (or reduced use) - which is nice when you've just got the touchpad.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2010-11-19 20:17:59

killerturtle

skanky wrote:

dwm's a tiling wm. It's not necessary to use one if you'd rather not. OpenBox worked well on it (set-up for the kids to use), and I'm pretty sure most DEs will work well enough. One nice thing about a wm though, is that it can be mouse free (or reduced use) - which is nice when you've just got the touchpad.

Yes, im already using my keyboard more and more on the old Dell lappie. Those shortcuts are very nice!

Thinking Openbox is the way to go, again...

For that matter, please post your experiences with a netbook and the windowmanager of your choice.

Thx

Sven

Last edited by killerturtle (2010-11-19 20:27:04)

Board footer