You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-22 01:17:29

ancient_archer

some minor issues on Toshiba T130-10g

Hello.

I experimentally try to use Arch on my Toshiba T130-10g. While I have already successfully configured wireless, synaptics, cpufreq, laptop-mode there are still some minor issues I want to solve:

1) How do I turn off wifi completely in order to save a little bit of power? Sometimes I don't need wifi so I would like to turn it off. I tried this command

iwconfig wlan0 txpower off

but it threw an error: Error for wireless request "Set Tx Power" (8B26) : SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported. I tried to google a lot for the solution, but I didn't fins anything which would resolve the issue.

2) How do I make that in cpufreq applet in Gnome I would change profiles (e.g. from powersave to ondemand) without having change it as a root but as an ordinary user?

3) Setting brightness doesnt work for my laptop. I can set it by setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=30 as a root but I'm looking for a more comfortable solution. BTW, editing one GRUB configuration file didn't help and ended in booting into command line (it was something with adding backlight=vendor or something like that...) I'm looking for a more comfortable solution that manually changing the brightness.

4) How do I turnoff bluetooth automatically after start?

5) Back in KDE 3.5 times, the network manager could easily track the statistics about downloaded volumes and categorize it in days, weeks and months I take. Is there something easy now like e.g. an applet which could do that in modern Gnome or KDE 4.X environment?

6) Is XFS as FS best for my multimedia partition? I have there MP3s, videos, ISO files and some backuped Documents. Would change to ext4 partition would have any visible effects (like loading my MP3 playlists in Juk faster?)

7) Since not all my FN keys work, I'd like to associate for example hibernate function with some key combination. How?

Thank you. Please feel free to respond to any of these questions.

#2 2010-11-22 02:12:47

lagagnon
Website

Re: some minor issues on Toshiba T130-10g

1) don't you have a little wireless hardware switch on the front side of the laptop case to turn off wireless? If not, that ifconfig command only works for certain chipsets that support it. Did you try running the command as root?
3) did you try "xbacklight"? Works for me on my Toshiba L300
4) not sure but probably "/etc/rc.d/bluetooth stop" as root. Or put that command in /etc/rc.local
7) http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-ac … 36.html.en

Last edited by lagagnon (2010-11-22 02:19:17)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-11-22 02:48:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: some minor issues on Toshiba T130-10g

Its very messy to put seven questions all together in one thread. Please don't do that.

For 1) and 4), just unload the respective modules.

For 2), I recall a HOWTO in ubuntuforums which did that, basically you had to give your user specific permissions.

For 7), perhaps xbindkeys or similar.

Most of your questions should be solved through googling. Especially number 6 and 7 (2 as well, I guess).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer