You are not logged in.

#1 2010-11-23 09:26:37

orschiro
Website

Optimise pm-utils

Hello guys,

I usually don't shutdown my system anymore but hibernate it. Unfortunately hibernating and resuming always take very long. I'd like to have a more responsive system that is usable after a few seconds and not minutes.

Is it a general problem of efficiency with pm-utils and are there ways to improve it?

Regards

#2 2010-11-23 10:00:36

Nichollan

Re: Optimise pm-utils

I just tried pm-hibernate. I think I prefer pm-suspend on my machine – which I believe uses RAM instead of the disk. It's definitely faster, although likewise it is unresponsive for a few seconds – and also causes a beep on my machine with the system bell turned on directly after the suspend. Whenever I suspend I execute a script that does pm-suspend as well as turn off the bell afterwards.

#3 2010-11-23 17:54:52

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Optimise pm-utils

pm-utils doesn't really do anything that takes extra time, it uses the suspend capabilities in the kernel plus some workarounds for bad hardware etc.

try (as root, not with sudo):

echo mem > /sys/power/state

You can use cat /sys/power/state to see what the other options are (disk, standby).

There are alternate implementations of hibernate/suspend that are faster, but you likely need kernel patches (tuxonice, etc.).

Last edited by thestinger (2010-11-23 17:55:05)

Board footer